Helping Others with Psychiatric Disabilities and Mental Illnesses
Through intensive coursework and field experience, students in the Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Psychology program of Rutgers University learn the skills to help people with psychiatric disabilities live independently. Graduates are prepared to practice psychiatric rehabilitation in both group and individualized settings, helping people gain access to resources needed to successfully integrate into the community.
Our graduates have a 100% pass rate on the CPRP national credentialing exam. They become case managers, residential counselors, employment specialists and wellness specialists.
Our dual major degree in psychiatric rehabilitation and psychology is the only one of its kind in the country. We offer:
- The convenience of both in-person and on-line courses
- A clinical practicum where students gain 480 hours of hands-on experience in a community mental health program
- Personal attention from veteran faculty in small classrooms
- The opportunity to work with faculty on research projects
- Elective courses that prepare students to work with special populations
- A complete psychiatric rehabilitation career ladder from A.S. through Ph.D. degrees
- Enrollment in a university with a highly regarded academic and research reputation
- Psychosocial Rehabilitation
- Communication Techniques
- Group Dynamics
- Clinical Principles in Psychosocial Rehabilitation
- Community Resource Management
- Emerging Topics in Psychosocial Rehabilitation
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Health Sciences Clinical Psychology View 2194 other Bachelors in Health Sciences in United States
- Health professional with current licensure/registration, if applicable
- Overall GPA of 2.5
- GPA of 3.0 in any Psychology courses taken prior to admission
- Two letters of recommendation
- Written essay related to career goals
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary academic institutions attended
- Completed application
- Application fee
- For the dual major program with Kean, completion of at least 40 semester hours (including at least 3 psychology and/or psychiatric rehabilitation courses)
- For the dual major program with Rutgers NCAS, Georgian Court University, and Felician College: Completion of all required psychology and general education courses
- For the BSHS Psychiatric Rehabilitation track, completion of the ASPSRT Degree or an Associate Degree in a health related field, human services, psychology or in the arts and sciences from an accredited institution.
International21270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 709 USD per credit during 48 months.
National21270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 709 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State14160 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 472 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Newark
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.