The Department of Economics is one of the country's leading departments specialising in the economics of growth and development as well as in political economy and heterodox approaches to Economics. Research and teaching is pursued on a variety of topics and is unique in its depth and range of regional and specialising coverage, including topics from contemporary banking and finance, the economics of the environment, gender economics, global economic theory, as well as the economic development of a variety of regions from Japan to the Middle East.
Why study BSc Development Economics at SOAS University of London
- 8th in UK for student satisfaction with teaching (Guardian League Tables 2022)
- we offer a broad portfolio of modules on economics and political economy
- our unrivalled focus in the study of developing and emerging economies provides you with a more critical approach to economic theory
- our academic staff are specialists within an unparalleled range of emerging and developing economies, and a broad spectrum of theory and policy debates
- theoretical concepts and debates are expertly applied to real issues within the countries of Africa, Asia and the Middle East, as well as in the global economy and interdependencies therein
- you will gain professional experience by pursuing our professional placement module
- you will be able to flexibly structure your programme using our Open Option modules to take advantage of the expertise of our other departments, including the opportunity to learn a language
- learn how to use the programming language R, which is embedded in some of our main modules
- we are specialists in the delivery of languages. Your command of a language from SOAS will set you apart from graduates of other universities
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Economic Principles (Macro)
- Economic Principles (Micro)
- Elementary Statistics
- Applied Economic Issues in the Global Economy
- Essay Writing Workshop - Undergraduate Economics
- Macroeconomic Analysis
- Microeconomic Analysis
- Development Economics
- Employability and Career Planning Workshop
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Business Administration International Development View 188 other Bachelors in International Development in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Level equivalent: AAB
- Contextualised offer: ABB
- Subject required: Applicants without A-level Maths (or equivalent) must have a minimum of Grade B in GCSE Maths (grade 6 in the new structure)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21160 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21160 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.