You'll develop fundamental, underpinning knowledge of the scope of practice of a UK paramedic, practising your skills and applying sophisticated medical techniques in a supportive environment using the University's simulation facilities. You'll use highly technical equipment, such as defibrillators and life-saving resuscitation equipment, and learn how to administer oxygen and drugs to patients safely and effectively.
To prepare you for your career, you'll undertake at least 2,000 hours of practical experience on placements at ambulance stations and within other clinical settings.
When you complete the course successfully, you'll be eligible to apply to register as a Paramedic with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), working in the public or private sector.
On this course you'll:
- Use professional facilities including our Centre for Simulation in Health and Care, where you'll practise life-saving skills on manikins and experience clinical situations in a safe and supportive environment
- Work through scenarios you'll experience in your career, undertaking simulated examinations and treatments in our realistic bedded ward and our high-fidelity patient simulator
- Get practical experience on work placements in paramedic teams and in clinical settings including community medicine, emergency departments, pathology, maternity, and critical care
- Have support from a personal mentor from the Ambulance Service
- Train with experienced paramedics and allied healthcare professionals in clinical settings
- Receive an induction and full uniform and PPE (personal protective equipment) from the NHS Trust you're assigned to
Careers and opportunities
At the end of the course, you'll be eligible to apply to the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) for professional registration as a qualified Paramedic.
Once registered you can work as a Paramedic in the public or private sector. Many graduates work in ambulance trusts but you could also work in clinical settings such as:
- GP surgeries
- Primary and secondary healthcare
- Telephone triage services (such as NHS 111)
- Helicopter emergency services
- Special operations response
You can also continue your study at postgraduate level or take on a career in teaching, research or clinical management.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from the Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
This course is approved by the Health & Care Professions Council and endorsed by the College of Paramedics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Core Skills Training Framework
- Foundation of Evidence Based Practice
- Foundations of Paramedic Professional Practice
- Fundamentals of Paramedic Practice
- Science Informing Practice
- Acute Prehospital Care
- Applied Paramedic Professional Practice
- Engaging with Service Improvement
- Evidence Based Decision Making
- Patient Assessment
- Assessment and Care of the Older Adult
- Enhancing Paramedic Professional Practice
- Pathology & Therapeutics for Paramedics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Health Sciences View 733 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 112-120 points to include 32 points from an A level in a single Science subject, or equivalent. Applicants must be 18 or over when the course starts. Applicants with a full, category B (car) driving license should have no more than three penalty points. All shortlisted applicants will need to attend an interview. Applicants must pass Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and Occupational Health checks before starting the course. The Department of Health requires all new Exposure Prone Procedures (EPP) workers, including students, are tested for HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C. The consent, test and managed process of results will be carried out by our Occupational Health Department.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14300 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Tuition for International Students: 14,300 – £16,400
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.