The Paralegal Certificate program is for students interested in obtaining the background and skills necessary to assume a growing range of tasks in legal offices.
Paralegals assist attorneys in drafting legal documents, research, investigation, trial preparation, and office management.
The program provides students with a foundation in legal terminology, research and writing, and legal theory and concepts.
Note: While paralegals perform many of the same tasks as lawyers, they are prohibited from carrying out duties considered to be the practice of law, such as setting legal fees, giving legal advice, and presenting cases in court.
- Apply legal research methods and techniques that are used in the practice of law.
- Develop skills in legal reasoning, identifying, and effectively using legal resources and writing legal documents.
- Evaluate the importance of secondary sources in legal research.
- Describe the primary rules and sources and roles of each in legal research.
- Distinguish how advice, persuasion, and advocacy enter into legal research.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the nature and function of the law and the application of critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Comprehend and describe what a paralegal is and how one fits into the legal system.
American Public University is part of the American Public University System (APUS), which is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The HLC accredits degree-granting institutions located in a 19-state region, and is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (ED), and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- Introduction to Law for Paralegals
- Real Estate Law
- Criminal Law and Procedure for the Paralegal
- Legal Research and Writing
- Civil Practice and Procedure
- Legal Ethics
- Administrative Law and Policy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Legal Studies View 68 other programmes in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Our university welcomes international applicants from many countries around the world. We are an online university and students are not required to enter the U.S. Therefore, we do not issue I-20 or DS-2019 forms for the F-1 or J-1 student visas.
- In addition to the admission requirements for undergraduate or graduate study, we may require additional documents related to residency,
- English proficiency, and educational background. Our institution maintains the right to require this documentation when needed.
International5130 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 285 USD per credit during 12 months.
National5130 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 285 USD per credit during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.