This certificate assesses the principles of information systems attack and defense and applies that knowledge to protect the information assets of an organization. Any undergraduate student, regardless of major, may enroll in the Certificate in Information Security Planning.The Undergraduate Certificate in Information Security Planning is offered by the American Public University.
This Certificate prepares the adult learner to seek entry-level career positions such as: Information Assurance Analyst, Information Assurance Manager, Security Policy Analyst, Security Planner, and Security Auditor.
Program graduates will know how to design secure networks, develop security policies, use cryptography, and perform business continuity planning.
- Assess the laws (national and federal), policies (including the Sarbanes-Oxley Act), issues (social, psychological, legal, and management), risks, and controls related to information assurance and network security.
- Appraise the principles and concepts behind computer network defense (CND) methodology, robust codes, cryptography, authentication, authorization, non-repudiation, and commercially available security packages (PKI, PGP, Kerberos, SSL, VPN).
- Examine the processes, roles, and responsibilities of management and security professionals in risk assessment, risk mitigation, security validation, policy enforcement, and personnel indoctrination.
- Assess the key components of the Physical Security Policy, Internet Security Policy, E-Mail Security Policy, Encryption Security Policy, Software Development Security Policy, Authentication Security Policy, Network Security Policy, Acceptable Use Policy, and the policy that addresses viruses, worms, and Trojan horses.
- Assess the engineering discipline, process, techniques, tools, and technologies used by hackers to gain unauthorized access to the systems and appraise counter measures to mitigate this risk.
- Examine the plans, procedures, practices, and tools to ensure business continuity and to recover rapidly after an incident.
American Public University is part of the American Public University System (APUS), which is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The HLC accredits degree-granting institutions located in a 19-state region, and is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (ED), and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Information Assurance
- Security: Attack and Defense
- Information Security
- IT Security: Auditing
- IT Security: Planning and Policy
- Cyberlaw and Privacy in a Digital Age
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesIT Security Cyber Security View 171 other Masters in Cyber Security in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Our university welcomes international applicants from many countries around the world. We are an online university and students are not required to enter the U.S. Therefore, we do not issue I-20 or DS-2019 forms for the F-1 or J-1 student visas.
- In addition to the admission requirements for undergraduate or graduate study, we may require additional documents related to residency,
- English proficiency, and educational background. Our institution maintains the right to require this documentation when needed.
International285 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 285 USD per credit during 12 months.
National285 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 285 USD per credit during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.