Biochemistry is the molecular basis of life. It applies chemical principles to some of the most exciting problems in the life sciences industry, explains how drugs work, helps us understand what goes wrong in diseases, and enables ‘genetic engineering‘. Consequently the subject is essential to drug discovery, biotechnology and biomedical research.
Biochemists investigate the structures, functions and biological roles of molecules involved in metabolism, cell signalling and the transmission of genetic information.
You will understand collation, quantitative analysis and interpretation of experimental data, and the ability to problem solve. Additional skills such as; personal and team skills, data management, presentation skills, career management planning and applying your degree in the workplace will also be covered.
Studying Biochemistry programme at Queen's University Belfast develops the core skills and employment related experiences that are valued by employers, professional organisations and academic institutions – particularly analytical and numerical skills.
Biochemists can gain employment in growth areas such as the biotechnology, food and pharmaceutical industries, biomedical research, the NHS and research and development in academia and industry. Approximately one third of our graduates go on to further study before entering specialist employment.
Although the majority of our graduates pursue careers in the molecular life sciences, significant numbers develop careers in a wide range of other sectors such as science communication, education, legal services, journalism, finance and management.
The subject is also widely accepted for graduate entry to medical, dental, veterinary and pharmacy schools – an increasingly common route into these professions, with many universities in the UK and Ireland offering four-year graduate programmes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Fundamentals of Chemistry
- Structure, Reactivity and Mechanism in Organic and Bio-organic Chemistry
- The Molecular Basis of Life
- The World of Microorganisms
- Experimental Biochemistry
- Microorganisms in Action
- Molecular Genetics and Bioinformatics
- Cell Biology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 652 other Bachelors in Chemistry in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Queen's University Belfast and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
A level requirements
- BBB including Chemistry and Biology + GCSE Mathematics grade C/4
- ABB including Chemistry and at least one from Mathematics or Physics + GCSE Biology grade C/4 or GCSE Double Award Science grades CC/4,4 + GCSE Mathematics grade C/4.
- Where A-level Biology, Mathematics or Physics are not offered, A-levels in three other subjects including Chemistry and AS-level Biology would be considered.
- H3H3H3H3H4H4/H3H3H3H3H3 including Higher Level grade H3 in Chemistry and Biology + if not offered at Higher Level then Ordinary Level grade O4 in Mathematics
- H3H3H3H3H3H3/H2H3H3H3H3 including Higher Level grade H3 in Chemistry and at least one from Mathematics or Physics + Ordinary Level grade O4 in Biology + if not offered at Higher Level then grade O4 in Mathematics.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4630 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4630 GBP per year during 36 months.
- Northern Ireland (NI) £4,630
- Republic of Ireland (ROI) £4,630
- England, Scotland or Wales (GB) £9,250
- EU Other £23100
- International £23100
Living costs for Belfast
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Bachelor's scholarship opportunities for Biochemistry.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.