The main objective of the Degree in English Studies at the University of Alcalá is to produce professionals with a high capacity for understanding and expression in English and a good level of proficieny in another foreign language, in addition to a comprehensive understanding of the historical, cultural, literary and linguistic conditions in English-speaking countries.
They should be able to analyse, interpret and summarise texts, engaging in in-depth diachronic and synchronic study of the English language and literature, well as its phonological, lexical, morphological and syntactic, semantic and pragmatic aspects. They should be capable of understanding the social, historical, political, and philosophical contexts of the Anglo-Saxon world, from a democratic standpoint, taking into account values such as equality of opportunities, integration and a culture for peace.
- Graduates in English studies are able to work professionally in: teaching in secondary schools, adult education, lifelong learning and private language teaching centres. Translation and interpretation, on either a freelance or employed basis, in publishing houses, the media, and cultural industries.
- Textual and literary criticism, proofreading, literary review and consultancy, translation and documentation, philology, linguistics and grammar, press collaboration, literary production, libraries, research in archives and libraries.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- History Of English-speaking Countries
- Literary Analysis Of English Texts
- Academic English
- Culture And Civilization Of English-speaking Countries
- Great Works Of English Literature
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A duly completed admission application form.
- A scanned photocopy of official documents proving that the student meets the requirements to access degree courses by any of the routes mentioned.
- A scanned photocopy of the personal details pages of the valid passport.
Living costs for Alcalá de Henares
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.