Students in the Human Development and Family Studies program at University of Hawaii at Manoa gain a social systems perspective of how families operate by studying the theoretical and applied literature that addresses the biological, social, cultural, psychological, and economic well-being of individuals and families and the environments in which they live.
Students also study the changing functions of the family, the roles of its members, and the community programs and policies that affect the decisions and well-being of families and consumers. HDFS courses provide students with knowledge that they can apply to their personal development and family life. An internship in the student’s area of interest is an integral part of the curriculum.
The curriculum prepares students to work proactively in multicultural settings to enhance the quality of family life, providing students with an understanding of:
- The changing needs and dynamics of families over time;
- The management of personal, family, and community resources to meet these needs;
- The growth and development of individuals over the human life cycle;
- The interrelationship of individuals, families, and communities in the context of diverse socio-economic and cultural systems.
- Social Psychology of Appearance
- Family Resource Management
- Family Caregiving
- Domestic Violence
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesFamily & Consumer Science Community Development View 287 other Bachelors in Family & Consumer Science in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Hawaii at Manoa and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Complete the Freshman Application!
- Application Fee: $70 U.S.
- Official High School Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation
- Personal Statement & List of Achievements Form
- Official Standardized Test Scores
International33336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16668 USD per semester during 48 months.
National33336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16668 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State11304 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5652 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Honolulu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.