The first year of the Pharmaceutical Science course at Munster Technological University is common to all pharmaceutical science students providing core science modules and fundamental practical skills training. At the end of year 1, when a more informed choice can be made, students will choose to specialise in one of four pharmaceutical science streams and the stream taken will be reflected in the award title. Students have opted for biopharmaceutics in recent years as a result of the exceptional growth in the demand for graduates from this stream.
There is significant commonality across the four streams with one stream specific module per semester for years 2 and 3. The project module and certain practical work will also be stream specific. The primary focus of the BSc in Pharmaceutical Science is on those areas required by graduates working in any area of pharmaceutical analysis including:
- analytical techniques and instrumentation used in research and development laboratories to isolate and identifying substances;
- pharmaceutical science in industry.
You will also cover:
- important maths principles;
- physics concepts;
- using information technology and communication;
- laboratory safety and procedures;
- maintaining quality;
- how to undertake a laboratory project;
- general environmental science.
What are my career opportunities
Pharmaceutical Science Graduates take up employment opportunities in laboratory settings across a wide range of sectors, including manufacturing, research and development in the pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, cosmetic, forensic and environmental sectors, as well in the food processing and drinks industries. Our graduates work as laboratory analysts and in quality control, quality assurance, environmental monitoring, training, education and production.
Our graduates have found work in anrange of local companies, including Aenova, Astellas, Kerry Group, Southern Scientific and Metpro Ltd.
Many of our graduates have gone further afield to take up positions in world leading pharmaceutical companies in Cork, Dublin, Limerick, Waterford and Galway. We are aware of how the pharmaceutical sector is moving into a new phase with Biopharmaceutics emerging as an area of strong demand for graduates. Our Biopharmaceutics stream is targeted at this exciting sector.
- Pharmaceutical Science and Quality Control
- Instrumental Analysis
- Organic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Biopharmaceutical Science
- Pharmaceutical/Veterinary Microbiology
- Cosmetic Product Formulations
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must achieve a pass in the Leaving Certificate or equivalent examinations, obtaining a minimum grade O6/H7 in English or Gaeilge, O6/H7 in mathematics or a minimum grade of F2 in foundation level mathematics (in specified courses) and O6/H7 in three other subjects.
International11200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11200 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Cork
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.