- The department has one of the most modern and comprehensive biochemical engineering facilities of any university in the world. Valued at over £35 million, our facilities attract leading industrial collaborators from the biopharmaceutical, cell therapy and industrial biotechnology sectors. You will gain skills through practical activities sought after by employers.
- The BEng Biochemical Engineering programme at University College London (UCL) is an interdisciplinary programme, blending applied biology, mathematics and engineering thinking. It is ideal for students who enjoy applying science to real contexts. It prepares you for further study in the biotechnology area or to enter the bioprocess industry after graduation.
- Use of innovative teaching methods is widespread in our degrees e.g. blended learning, problem-based learning, e-learning, peer assessment. We aim to make our graduates confident and adaptable so they are confident when applying their knowledge to real-life challenges.
- Our staff are at the forefront of research in areas such as regenerative medicine, biopharmaceuticals and biofuels. We are committed to research-based teaching through UCL's Connected Curriculum, meaning students will be exposed to the newest developments in these fields.
The science, engineering, business and leadership skills that you acquire on the programme will provide you with excellent and diverse career prospects. In addition to your core subject knowledge in biochemical engineering, the programme will provide you with the analytical, problem-solving and numeracy skills desired by a wide range of sectors.
The incredible pace of biological advances towards new medicines and greener sustainable processes is creating an ever-growing need for biochemical engineering graduates to work in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, biofuels, chemical, environment and food industries.
After graduation you may progress to work in a company, conducting research and development activity in design of facilities and the creation of safe materials. Many past students work in managing the multi-million pound investments that produce life science drugs. Others decide to pursue a higher degree, either an MSc or a doctorate.
- Biochemical Engineering
- Fluid Flow and Mixing in Bioprocesses
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Bioprocess Analysis
- Mathematical Modelling and Analysis
- Design and Professional Skills
- Engineering Challenges
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Chemical Engineering Biochemistry View 668 other Bachelors in Biochemistry in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Grades: AAA
- Subjects: Mathematics required, plus one from Biology, Chemistry or Physics.
- GCSEs: English Language and Mathematics at grade C or 5.
- Points: 38
- Subjects: A total of 18 points in three higher level subjects including grade 6 in Mathematics, plus one from Biology, Chemistry or Physics, with no score below 5. The programme will accept either 'Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches' or 'Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation' at higher level.
International32100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32100 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.