The Professional Policing programme at University College London (UCL) will provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to pursue a career in policing and contribute effectively to the criminal justice system. Through a mix of lectures, seminars, work placement and projects, students will gain a thorough understanding of the theory, science and practice of policing.
- UCL Security & Crime Science is the first university department in the world devoted specifically to reducing crime and other risks to personal and national security, and houses the Institute for Global City Policing, which aims to foster cutting edge research on policing in a globalised world.
- You will be provided with the latest knowledge, technical and human skills needed to pursue a successful career in policing and related law enforcement professions.
- You will learn the philosophical and theoretical justifications for adopting an evidenced based and scientific approach to professional policing practice, and explore applications to a wide range of crime and security problems.
- You will be taught by academic experts in security and crime reduction, with input from practitioners and policymakers to provide a focus on real-world relevance and impact.
You will gain the necessary insight and skills, both intellectual and practical, to take up a wide range of crime and security-relevant positions throughout the world. The multidisciplinary approach gives you a competitive edge in the job market through your ability to work across disciplines in the service of crime reduction. However, please note, there are no guarantees of entry to a police force post completion.
We anticipate that the majority of graduates will enter the policing profession. Please note that every police force has its own recruitment, selection and eligibility requirements and you will need to successfully pass these stages.
- Crime and society
- Security and crime science
- Police powers and procedures
- Probability, statistics and modelling
- Qualitative methods
- Response policing
- Countering terrorism
- Understanding the crime event
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesStatistics Criminology Terrorism & Security View 548 other Bachelors in Criminology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
International26600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26600 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.