- This double Data Science - Laws (Honours) degree at Queensland University of Technology combines our new Bachelor of Data Science, and our respected Bachelor of Laws (Honours).
- The Data Science component has been specifically designed and built from the ground up as a specialist data science degree – the only one of its kind in Australia.
- Our law course is designed in consultation with industry to have a strong foundation in contemporary law knowledge, understanding and experience.
- Develop the knowledge and skills being demanded by employers in emergent roles.
- Analyse and interrogate data to provide meaningful insights, crucial to a multitude of industries.
Why choose this course?
Data scientist, as an occupation, has experienced a growth of 492 per cent from 2015 to 2019 (Burning Glass Technologies, National Skills Commission Analysis, 2020). It is widely acknowledged as one of the most desirable careers, not just in Australia, but globally.
Across the world, we are collecting massive amounts of data. It’s the new currency. But that data means very little if we’re not able derive meaningful insights from it. We need skilled data scientists to create meaning with the data.
The legal industry is not immune from that trend. As data stores in the sector grow, so will the latent value within that collected data. Law firms have an opportunity to collect and analyse the right data to improve the client experience, to mitigate risk, and to understand the legal implications of data collection.
Some progressive corporate legal teams have created formal roles for legal data scientists,and they are investing in data strategies and new techniques to harness value from this data.
Data science is an ever-changing landscape and at the completion of this course, you’ll be able to move with it having developed a set of fundamental tools and techniques to lead in transforming industry. This is your opportunity to be at the forefront into one of emerging careers in contemporary times.
- Legal Research
- Administrative Law
- Ethics and the Legal Profession
- Corporate Law
- Legal Research Capstone
- Visualising Data
- Algorithms and Complexity
- 66 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLegal Studies Data Science & Big Data View 62 other Bachelors in Data Science & Big Data in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Mathematical Methods, or Specialist Mathematics (Units 3 & 4, C)
- If you achieve an ATAR or selection rank of 93.00 or higher (including any adjustments) and satisfy all other admission requirements, you are guaranteed an offer for this course.
- The figures listed in the tables below reflect the offers that were made to recent ATAR students. The entry thresholds box at the top of this page shows the lowest adjusted ATAR/selection rank required to receive an offer for all applicants for the most recent January QTAC offer round.
- CRICOS: 103861J
International33000 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33000 AUD per year during 66 months.
National8900 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8900 AUD per year during 66 months.
Living costs for Brisbane
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.