The major in cinema and photography at Southern Illinois University is focused on the history, theory, and practice of the still and moving image within the broader framework of contemprary arts practices, evolving technologies, and a media arts education that is grounded in the arts and the humanities.
The course of study favors the integration of theory and practice and emphasizes experimentation and exploration across cinema, photography, and their varied extensions in analog, digital, computational and live arts practices, e.g., installation, performance, and the creation of immersive environments.
It prepares students for careers in fine arts, commercial, professional, and educational settings; to explore the social, cultural, and political implications of media arts and culture; and, to engage with contemporary media arts practices.
What you will learn
Beginning with the required Foundations sequence, you will go on to take courses that emphasize conceptual ambition and flexibility across multiple technologies and practices such as lens-based art, time arts, media studies, performance, art and technology studies.
Invigorated by computational arts practices, this Cinema and Photography - Media Arts specialization explores -- in theory and practice -- the intersections between visual, sound, literary, and performing arts.
- Forum in Art and Culture
- Media Arts, Performance
- Media Arts, Moving Image and Cinema
- Film History and Analysis
- Media Studies, Still Image and Photography
- Media Arts, Sound
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 2473 other Bachelors in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application for admission.
- A $40 non-refundable application fee.
- Current, official transcripts from each high school and college you’ve attended. All transcripts must be issued within the last 30 days and be contained in official sealed envelopes or sent through an electronic transcript system. A final high school transcript will be required upon graduation and completion of all high school course work.
- International students must submit proof of assured financial resources sufficient to pay for their entire first year of tuition, fees, and living expenses.
International19274 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9637 USD per semester during 48 months.
National7710 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3855 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State7710 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3855 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Carbondale
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.