What will you do in the Teaching (Middle and Secondary) degree from University of Adelaide?
- Take courses on contemporary educational issues and social contexts.
- Build understandings of adolescent behaviour, learning and motivation.
- Learn to support student wellbeing and positive student-teacher relationships.
- Complete three full-time supervised teaching blocks of 70 days in South Australian schools.
- Undertake a practice based research project.
Where could it take you?
This degree is accredited by the Teachers Registration Board of South Australia. Graduates may register to teach in South Australia, and in most cases, interstate and overseas (please check international countries for specific registration requirements relevant to those jurisdictions). An education background will also prove invaluable in a wide range of careers servicing communities outside of the classroom.
Note: The Master of Teaching degree is a 48 unit (2 year) program that is also available in accelerated mode (1.5 year duration, Semester 1 entry only).
If you choose the accelerated 1.5 year pathway, you will commence in Semester 1. This option is ideal for committed students who are eager to fast track their studies. There is a significant workload associated with the accelerated pathway as you need to study in Winter School and heavily overload from Semester 2. If you have extensive personal and/or work commitments, it is strongly recommended that you do not select this option or mode of study.
If you choose the standard 2 year pathway, you will commence in Semester 1 or Winter School. This option is the standard recommended pathway for all students, including those who are returning to study. If you are unsure about your capacity to undertake accelerated studies, we recommend you choose this option
Fees are based on the number of units you enrol in. International students: please be aware that accelerated study plan allows you to complete your studies early, which in turn may impact on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).
This program is only available in blended mode and on-campus attendance is required. If you are a continuing student in the program and are unable to attend campus, please contact the Faculty of Arts for program advice.
Career ReadinessThe Master of Teaching provides a professional qualification that is recognised for teacher registration purposes in South Australia. In most cases the qualification is portable to other states and countries.
The University of Adelaide Careers Service prepares, inspires and empowers students to achieve successful career transitions and connect with industry.
Criminal History Check and Responding to Abuse and Neglect training
Professional Experience Placements form a compulsory part of the program. Students will be required to undertake a Child-related Employment screening through Department of Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI). If a student fails to obtain clearance for any reason, the University cannot accept responsibility for obtaining a professional experience placement or any professional experience activity that a student may require to complete the course of study.
In addition, students who are completing any in-school activities or professional experience placements must undertake mandatory training in Responding to Abuse and Neglect prior to the commencement of the activity/placement. Students must provide documented evidence that shows that they have completed all of the required training.
Professional AccreditationThis degree provides a professional qualification that is recognised for teacher registration purposes in South Australia. In most cases the qualification is portable to other states and overseas countries.
Education Coordinator, Education Officer / Educator, School Services Officer, Science Educators, Health Educator, Teacher
- Research Design
- Student Teacher Interaction in the Classroom
- Professional Preparation
- Professional Experience
- Middle and Secondary Years Pedagogy
- Teaching Dissertation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducational Research Pedagogy Teaching View 22 other Bachelors in Pedagogy in Australia
- CRICOS code: 097624K
- Successful completion of an Australian year 12 qualification with a minimum pass in an accepted English language subject or
- IELTS/TOEFL/Pearson/C1 advanced
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent with a minimum GPA of 4.5 from a recognised Australian or international higher education institution.
- A teaching area major and a teaching area minor (or specialisation), which aligns with the Australian Curriculum and/or the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE) curriculum.
- Prospective students must successfully undertake a National Criminal History Record Check (NCHRC) as an entry requirement.
- * Important Note: if choosing music as a teaching area, the ability to read music is essential.
- * Prospective students must successfully complete a non-academic assessment through SATAC as required by AITSL.
- * Prospective international students may be required to obtain a certificate from their home country.
International40000 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40000 AUD per year during 24 months.
Domestic students: Commonwealth-supported place
Living costs for Adelaide
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.