Great science teachers tap into the natural curiosity and imaginative thinking of young people. They build a strong foundation of knowledge and inspire a spirit of discovery.
Develop your digital capabilities in the eLearning Program - the first and only one of its kind for Education students in Australia. We will show you how to use your own iPad with pencil and keyboard to its full teaching potential so you can earn Apple Teacher status. You might even do your first year placement in an Apple Distinguished School.
What will you do in the Teaching (Secondary) with Science program from University of Adelaide?
You’ll build deep understandings of the subjects you intend to teach, selecting from:
- Earth and Environmental Science
- Digital Technologies*
- explore educational issues, curriculum and practice relevant to the secondary years
- work with inspiring teachers and researchers
- gain professional experience and connections through extensive school placements.
Where could it take you?
You’ll graduate fully qualified to register as a secondary teacher Australia-wide. If you’d like to teach overseas, your degree will be valid in most other countries. An education background will also prove invaluable in a wide range of careers servicing communities outside of the classroom.*Students who wish to major in Mathematics or Digital Technologies must also complete a major from the Faculty of Science.
** If you are interested in choosing Physics as one of your teaching areas please speak to an advisor at the Faculty of Sciences as some combinations may not be available.
Degree StructureThe four year double degrees allow you to specialise in two subject areas taught in the secondary years of high school. Your first three years of study are focused on building your expertise in these two teaching areas.Throughout the degree you will also undertake education courses and professional experience placements. The final year of study prepares you to be a teaching professional with the focus on curriculum, methodology, pedagogy and professional experience placements in schools.
The Bachelor of Teaching is for students who have not undertaken university study. If you have already commenced a degree, you should consider completing that degree and then apply for the Master of Teaching (Middle and Secondary). Students completing the requirements of the Bachelor of Teaching are eligible to gain credit towards the Master of Teaching (Middle and Secondary).
Criminal History Check and Responding to Abuse and Neglect training
Professional Experience Placements form a compulsory part of the program. Students will be required to undertake a Child-related Employment screening through Department of Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI). If a student fails to obtain clearance for any reason, the University cannot accept responsibility for obtaining a professional experience placement or any professional experience activity that a student may require to complete the course of study.In addition, students who are completing any in-school activities or professional experience placements must undertake mandatory training in Responding to Abuse and Neglect prior to the commencement of the activity/placement. Students must provide documented evidence that shows that they have completed all of the required training.
Professional AccreditationThis double degree program provides a professional qualification that is recognised for teacher registration purposes in South Australia. In most cases the qualification is portable to other states and overseas countries.
SACE Teacher, SSO, STEM Teacher, STEM in Schools Professional Development Provider, Education Coordinator, Education Officer / Educator, School Services Officer, Science Communicators, Science Educators, Scientific Officer, Scientist, Teacher
- Schools and Society
- Issues in Contemporary Education
- Research as Teaching Practice
- Biology: Human Perspectives
- Biochemistry: Molecular and Cell Biology
- Molecular and Structural Biology
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology Educational Research Teaching View 107 other Bachelors in Teaching in Australia
- CRICOS code: 047798B
- Successful completion of an Australian year 12 qualification with a minimum pass in an accepted English language subject or
- IELTS/TOEFL/Pearson/C1 advanced
- One of the following qualifications:
- Selection Rank (International): 80
- International Baccalaureate (IB): 29
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE): 19
- United Entrance Certificate (UEC) [Malaysia]: 15
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level: 9
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD): 75%
- British Columbia Certificate of Graduation (Canada): 75%
- Alberta High School Diploma (Canada): 82
- ISC & CBSE [India]: 75%
- ISBE [India]: 85%
- SAT (in conjunction with American High School Diploma): 1270
- AP (in conjunction with American High School Diploma): 9
- Abitur: 3.1
- Thailand Certificate of Secondary Education: 2.7
- Bang Tot Nghiep Trung Hoc Pho Thong: 8.0
- STPM or Matrikulasi: 3.00
- Kuwait General School Secondary Certificate: 77
- and more
International40000 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40000 AUD per year during 48 months.
Domestic students: Commonwealth-supported place
Living costs for Adelaide
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.