Biotechnology—integrating biology and technology to create innovative solutions—has enormous potential to feed, fuel and heal. This Biotechnology (Honours) degree from University of Adelaide will prepare you to enter this exciting and vital industry with advanced capability and an employability edge.
What will you do?
Like the Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology), the Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology) (Honours) combines biology with aspects of engineering and computer science. During the first three years, you will:
- delve into molecular, genetic, animal and plant biology
- experiment with protein separation, fermentation, genomics and proteomics
- use revolutionary gene editing technology at Australia’s first genome editing facility
- explore microbial biotechnology and bioprocess engineering
- learn how to produce food, drugs and other products
- consider global social, economic, environmental and ethical issues, patents and waste management.
In addition to a Molecular Biology major, you’ll be able to choose a second specialisation in: Bioinformatics; Chemistry; Genetics; or Microbiology and Biomedical Science.
You can also gain valuable work experience through an industry internship. And your research skills will be honed through a major research project and/or industry-related project in your honours year.
Where could it take you?
You’ll graduate with the biotech world at your feet. The bachelor degree’s same vast range of career paths will of course be open to you. But with your additional honours qualification—and the enhanced capability it signifies—you’ll immediately stand out to potential employers.
- Science or Fiction
- Biology: Molecules, Genes and Cells
- Concepts in Biology
- Principles of Biotechnology II
- Microbiology II (Biotechnology)
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biotechnology View 107 other Bachelors in Chemistry in Australia
- CRICOS code: 103526B
- Successful completion of an Australian year 12 qualification with a minimum pass in an accepted English language subject or
- IELTS/TOEFL/Pearson/C1 advanced
- One of the following qualifications:
- Selection Rank (International): 80
- International Baccalaureate (IB): 29
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE): 19
- United Entrance Certificate (UEC) [Malaysia]: 15
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level: 9
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD): 75%
- British Columbia Certificate of Graduation (Canada): 75%
- Alberta High School Diploma (Canada): 82
- ISC & CBSE [India]: 75%
- ISBE [India]: 85%
- SAT (in conjunction with American High School Diploma): 1270
- AP (in conjunction with American High School Diploma): 9
- Abitur: 3.1
- Thailand Certificate of Secondary Education: 2.7
- Bang Tot Nghiep Trung Hoc Pho Thong: 8.0
- STPM or Matrikulasi: 3.00
- Kuwait General School Secondary Certificate: 77
- and more
International43000 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 43000 AUD per year during 48 months.
Domestic students: Commonwealth-supported place
Living costs for Adelaide
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.