Students develop technical proficiency and design expertise in the organization of imagery and typography to communicate information in two-dimensional and three-dimensional forms using interactive media, environments and motion design. Students produce work for print, video, screen and interactive experiences, as well as package design, exhibition design and environmental wayfinding.
This Visual Communication Design program from Kent State University leads to a professional degree and focuses on intensive work in the visual arts. The B.F.A. degree consists of approximately two-thirds of the coursework in the creation and study of the visual arts, with the remainder in liberal/general studies. Because of the greater emphasis on upper-level studio courses, the B.F.A. degree allows students an opportunity to build greater expertise in a given area of the field. The B.F.A. degree is for students planning to pursue a career in visual communication design and want to leave Kent State with a strong portfolio.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethics (and legal issues) closely associated with fields of visual communication.
- Demonstrate an understanding of traditional hands-on skills relative to craftsmanship.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic use of digital technologies as they relate to their areas of study.
- Demonstrate an ability to create visual response to communication problems, including understanding of hierarchy, typography, aesthetics, composition and construction of meaningful images.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Visual Design Thinking
- Visual Communication Design Studio
- Design Research
- Design/illustration Techniques
- Design History and Theory
- Graphic Design
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
National: Feb. 1 - Application Deadline for Merit Scholarship Consideration
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Digital Communication View 1304 other Bachelors in Design in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- New first-year applicants must finish secondary school in their home country by the time of enrollment to be eligible for university (comparable to the completion of senior high school in the U.S.). A student who has previously enrolled in a post-secondary (higher education) institution is required to apply as a transfer student.
- The B.F.A. degree requires a minimum 2.700 major GPA and a 2.000 overall GPA calculated after the completion of VCD 33000.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21578 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21578 USD per year during 48 months.
National21578 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21578 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State12471 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12471 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Kent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.