In the Recreation and Sport Management Co-op program, your learning will benefit from hands-on exploration under the guidance of instructor who care about your success. Take your learning deeper with paid internships and small classes, where you will work closely with other students and your instructors on meaningful community projects.
Graduates find a wide variety of careers focused on building positivity and confidence around sport and community for people of all ages. Explore the Recreation and Sport Management Program Website (link above) to learn more about careers.
This Recreation and Sport Management from Vancouver Island University is offered as a mandatory Co-operative Education format with four academic semesters and two paid Co-op placements.
The focus of this diploma program is on the provision of recreation and sport services and products in public, private, and not-for-profit sectors within communities. The program assesses the impact of recreation and sport and the environment in order to plan and develop healthy communities. Features of the program include the provision of applied skills and knowledge, direct leadership experience, a co-operative education model (paid employment), and small class sizes.
The administration of recreation and sport services is a challenging career in this increasingly leisure-oriented society. Dynamic and innovative people are needed to plan, organize, and supervise recreation experiences in a variety of settings. Graduates have found employment in the following areas:
- Agencies, such as the Boys’ and Girls’ Club and the YM/YWCA, Sport B.C.
- Public Recreation and Sport Management, including parks and recreation departments in municipalities and regional districts, community schools, recreation associations, and public recreation and sport facilities.
- Outdoor Recreation, providing camping, wilderness experiences, risk recreation and sport, and environmental education. Parks involvement is also possible.
- Commercial Enterprises, such as fitness centres, racquetball complexes, and retail outlets.
- Inclusive Leisure, involving the provision of recreation to those with special needs, such as individuals who are disabled and disadvantaged in institutions or in the community.
- Tourism, including destination resorts, theme parks, tourist bureaus, and special events and festivals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Marketing Recreation Experiences
- Co-operative Education Preparation
- Diversity and Inclusion in Recreation
- Risk Management and Legal Liability in Recreation
- Organizing and Leading Recreation Activities
- Program Planning
- University Writing and Research
- Accounting for Non-Financial Managers
- Business Computer Applications
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSports Management Sports Sciences View 28 other Bachelors in Sports Management in Canada
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Vancouver Island University and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- General admission requirements apply.
- Official transcript of grades from high school (and post-secondary institutions where applicable).
- History of leadership, active involvement in recreation and sport pursuits, and experience working with people of varying ages and interests.
- Fieldwork may require a criminal record check prior to placement.
- Enrolment in this program is limited. Students who meet or exceed the minimum admission requirements may not necessarily be admitted to the program.
- All new students must participate in a compulsory orientation held early in the Fall semester.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19227 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19227 CAD per year during 24 months.
National4958 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4958 CAD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.