Heading back to school to finish your high school education is a big step. Getting your high school diploma will help you qualify for many post-secondary program options, and get you on the path to the job you see in your future.
Vancouver Island University offers the Adult Basic Education program to support learners in obtaining their Adult Basic Education Diploma or GED Diploma.
Adult Basic Education (ABE) courses are for adults who want to:
- complete prerequisite courses needed for further study;
- obtain a graduation certificate;
- prepare for employment;
- refresh their skills and confidence for work or further studies;
- reach a personal goal.
- ABE instructors understand the challenges students face when returning to school as adults, and provide support to students to make their experience a success.
Adult Basic Education (ABE) offers:
- A supportive adult-centred learning environment.
- Small class sizes.
- Free tutorial assistance.
- Advising, counseling, and student support services.
- Assistance with course planning to meet your goals.
- Daytime and evening classes.
- A variety of options, from instructor-led classes to self-paced, flexible-schedule classes.
ABE Learning CentresLearning Centres are available to assist students with:
- help while studying ABE courses
- preparing for assessments for admission to ABE or other VIU programs
- materials to prepare for assessments and other tests
- support for distance and online courses
- Courses are available up to the Grade 12 level in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Studies, English, History, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, Science, Education and Career Planning, and Reading and Writing.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesEducation Adult Education View 22 other programmes in Adult Education in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Vancouver Island University and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Minimum 17 years of age and out of school for one year
- High school graduation
- Enrolled in a VIU academic or trades/vocational program.
International8340 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8340 CAD per year during 12 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 CAD per year during 12 months.
Financial support may be available to students in ABE programs through the Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG), Human Resources and Social Development Canada, the Ministry of Human Resources, Native Bands, and other organizations. Check with the agencies concerned or ask about financial aid at your local campus or centre.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.