Study Jazz Studies Composition Certificate at Temple University to further develop your knowledge of the genre.
This four-course, 13-credit certificate program is open to any undergraduate student enrolled at Temple who has completed at least 15 credit hours of coursework. Through the curriculum, you’ll learn
- jazz and pop composition;
- the history of jazz and how it has evolved; and
- the influence of jazz on other music genres, from blues to soul to hip-hop.
About this Program
You’ll study how to identify the desired notes and chords for your composition, tailored for your chosen instrument. Learn arrangements that fueled the swing movement, which started in Philadelphia with jazz players like Charlie Gaines and Frankie Fairfax. Seminars in jazz composition and arranging explore bebop, made popular by the achievements of Philadelphia musicians Benny Golson and Lee Morgan. You’ll develop a holistic understanding of the genre, how to play and its iconic influence on music.
- Jazz Arranging
- Seminar in Jazz Composition & Arranging
- Seminar in Advanced Jazz Composition & Arranging
- Topics in Music Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music Composition View 2379 other Bachelors in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students must also submit one original jazz arrangement. Arrangements must be a minimum of 12 measures and submitted as a PDF document.
- To be accepted into a certificate program, students must be in good academic standing and have completed at least 15 credits at Temple University by the initial requested semester of certificate coursework.
International9048 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1392 USD per credit during 24 months.
National9048 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1392 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State5154 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 793 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.