Illustration is about absorbing the world around you and putting your personal spin on visualising such observations.
You'll explore industry-standard design software and equipment to produce innovative, dynamic illustrative briefs – as well as make use of our:
- Adobe-equipped digital suites
- 3D modelling workshops
- Spacious photography dark rooms
- Richly resourced print facilities (including screen-printing, dry-point etching, letterpress, and heat-press)
When you graduate, you can progress to the second year of BA (Hons) Illustration at the University of Portsmouth , enabling you to finish the degree in two years. You'll also have a variety of employment options in your reach, including many aspects of design and illustration, graphic art, model making, digital publishing, and marketing – or you can even branch into puppetry, textile design, or animation.
What you'll experience
- Explore the disciplines, practices and theories of illustration
- Improve your drawing, printing, digital software and fundamental making skills, over a challenging and varied curriculum
- Enhance your exhibition and presentation skills
- Develop an awareness of professional practices in illustration and beyond through talks by creative professionals
- Be enrolled at both the University of Portsmouth and Eastleigh College, so you'll have access to activities and certain facilities at both locations
- Display a selection of your work at a final exhibition and learn the various ways in which contemporary illustration is disseminated
- Be taught by teaching staff who have professional experience as illustrators and digital media specialists
Work experience and career planning
Completing this course successfully allows you to enter university-level study of illustration and other visual design disciplines. For instance, you'll only need to complete a further 2 years of study to gain a BA (Hons) Illustration degree.
The skills and knowledge you develop could also allow you to advance your existing career or secure your first role in the industry. Areas you could work in include:
- Traditional print-based media
- Digital publishing
- Graphic design companies and agencies
- Animation/model-making industries
Industry work also delivers a range of flexibility not seen in more traditional sectors and the knowledge and skill that you obtain from this course will be applicable to work in small start ups businesses, global multi-national companies, as well as in a freelance capacity.
Teaching & Programme Assessment
Teaching on this course includes:
- group critiques
This course has a practical focus, covering the traditional and digital technologies used by professionals.
You can access all teaching resources on Moodle, our virtual learning environment, from anywhere with a Web connection.
You'll be assessed entirely through coursework on this course.
The academic year runs from October to May with breaks at Christmas and Easter.
- October to January – teaching block 1
- February to May – teaching block 2
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Illustration
- Cultural Studies and Critical Theory
- Line, Colour, Form and Development
- Narrative and Storytelling
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts View 1489 other programmes in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
112-120 points to include a minimum of 2 A Levels, or equivalent. All shortlisted applicants will need to attend an interview with a portfolio of work.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.