The Public Health program of the University at Buffalo provides knowledge and skills sought by employers in the fields of health care and public health, and is ideal for students interested in careers in hospitals, managed care organizations, health provider networks, hospitals, clinics, community-based organizations, public health agencies, pharmaceutical or other medical companies, research firms, non-profit organizations, government agencies or academia.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Public Health - Explain the history and philosophy of public health as well as its core values, concepts, and functions across the globe and in society.
- Role and Importance of Data in Public Health - Explain and utilize the basic concepts, methods, and tools of public health data collection, use, and analysis and explain why evidence-based approaches are an essential part of public health practice.
- Identify and Address Population Health Challenges - Identify and design plans to address the major health-related needs and concerns of populations using the basic processes, approaches, and interventions of population health.Human Health - Describe how the underlying science of human health and disease is necessary to provide opportunities for promoting and protecting health across the life course.
- Determinants of Health - Explain the relevance of the socioeconomic, behavioral, biological, cultural, environmental, and other factors that impact human health and contribute to health disparities and utilize those elements to explain and design plans to address public health problems.
- Project Implementation - Demonstrate use of the fundamental concepts and features of project implementation, including planning, assessment, and evaluation to conduct public health interventions.
- Health Systems - Explain the fundamental characteristics and organizational structures of the U.S. health system as well as the similarities and differences in systems of other countries.
- Health Policy, Law, Ethics and Economics - Explain basic concepts of legal, ethical, economic, and regulatory dimensions of health care and public health policy, including applying those concepts to public health issues. Explain the roles, influences, and responsibilities of the different agencies and branches of government.
- Health Communication - Demonstrate proficiency in the basic concepts of public health-specific communication, including technical and professional writing and the use of mass media and electronic technology.
- Historical and Contemporary Public Health Problems
- Biological, Personal, and Environmental Influences on Health and Disease
- Asking and Answering Scientific Questions in Public Health
- Study of Health Behavior
- Biological Basis of Public Health
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Public Health Health Sciences View 3015 other Bachelors in Biology in United States
- Admission to UB’s freshman class is selective and is based in part on the quality of your secondary school academic record and the number of spaces available in the class
- You should feel confident applying to UB if you have an above-average academic record and have taken challenging courses in high school to help prepare you to be successful at university
- English language requirements
- Personal Essay
- You must submit one (1) teacher recommendation
International24990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24990 USD per year during 60 months.
National24990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24990 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State7270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7270 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.