The Department of Geological Sciences offers an up-to-date curriculum designed to train students to be employable earth and environmental scientists. Most courses in the Geological Sciences - Earth Sciences Adolescence Education program of the University at Buffalo comprise both lecture and laboratory environments, where students have hands-on access to geological specimens and state-of-the-art analytical tools to study them. The coursework in the first three years of the program will provide deep knowledge of geology making students content experts. In addition, select education courses that include experiential components give students opportunity to experience the nuances of the teaching profession.
The graduate portion of the program will continue to build understanding of geology as well as providing the skills to become an effective teacher. The final year in the program includes a one-year residency that allows students to co-teach alongside an expert teacher, and to experience the inner workings of the classroom from fall setup to end-of-year grading prepares students to enter the teaching profession with expertise and confidence.
At the end of this program, successful students will receive recommendation for New York State Initial and Professional Teacher Certification.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students in the combined program will complete the learning outcomes of the Geological Sciences BA. In addition, graduates of the program will:
- Demonstrate subject-specific content expertise that supports effective teaching in the field.
- Create inclusive learning environments to meet individual differences in a caring, culturally responsive, and professional manner.
- Construct relevant and rigorous curricula that include critical assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Design, develop, and evaluate learning experiences that maximize the use of digital and interactive technologies.
- Promote the application of research and evidence-based practices in diverse settings throughout their teaching careers.
- Remain intellectually curious, continually updating their knowledge and skills to ensure ongoing excellence in teaching.
Career OutlookEmployment opportunities exist as New York State and other states nationwide are facing current and future teacher shortages. Program graduates will be equipped to find professional employment in public, private, and charter schools as teachers in grades 5-12. Graduates also may find career opportunities as educators, consultants, and researchers in public and private industry, as well as government agencies.
- Educational Psychology
- Natural Hazards and Climate Change; Past, Present and Future Laboratory
- Natural Hazards
- Earth Materials
- Adolescent Writing across Curriculum
- Teaching the Exceptional Learner
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Earth Sciences Geology View 662 other Bachelors in Geology in United States
- Admission to UB’s freshman class is selective and is based in part on the quality of your secondary school academic record and the number of spaces available in the class
- You should feel confident applying to UB if you have an above-average academic record and have taken challenging courses in high school to help prepare you to be successful at university
- UB uses a 4.0 grading scale and we expect students applying here to have the equivalent of a 3.0 on that scale. That is the same as a grade of B or 83 on a 100-point scale
- English language requirements
- Personal Essay
- You must submit one (1) teacher recommendation
International24990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24990 USD per year during 60 months.
National24990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24990 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State7270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7270 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.