Coursework taken in the first three years of the Chemistry - Chemistry Adolescence Education program of the University at Buffalo provides you with a deep understanding of chemistry, making you a content expert in your field, and select education courses include experiential components that exposes you to the nuances of the profession.
The graduate portion of the program continues to build understanding of science and provides the skills to become an effective teacher. The final year includes a residency where students co-teach alongside an expert chemistry teacher. The opportunity to experience the inner workings of the classroom from fall setup to end-of-year grading prepares students to enter the teaching profession with expertise and confidence.
At the end this program, successful students will receive recommendation for New York State Initial and Professional Teacher Certification.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students in the combined program will complete the same learning outcomes as for the Chemistry BA degree. In addition, graduates of the Chemistry Education EdM program will:
- Demonstrate subject specific content expertise that supports effective teaching in the field.
- Create inclusive learning environments to meet individual differences in a caring, culturally responsive, and professional manner.
- Construct relevant and rigorous curricula that include critical assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Design, develop, and evaluate learning experiences that maximize the use of digital and interactive technologies.
- Promote the application of research and evidence-based practices in diverse settings throughout their teaching careers.
- Remain intellectually curious, continually updating their knowledge and skills to ensure ongoing excellence in teaching.
- Educational Psychology
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Sociology of Education
- Adolescent Writing across Curriculum
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Chemistry Early Childhood Education View 2175 other Bachelors in Chemistry in United States
- Admission to UB’s freshman class is selective and is based in part on the quality of your secondary school academic record and the number of spaces available in the class
- You should feel confident applying to UB if you have an above-average academic record and have taken challenging courses in high school to help prepare you to be successful at university
- UB uses a 4.0 grading scale and we expect students applying here to have the equivalent of a 3.0 on that scale. That is the same as a grade of B or 83 on a 100-point scale
- English language requirements
- Personal Essay
- You must submit one (1) teacher recommendation
International24990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24990 USD per year during 60 months.
National24990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24990 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State7270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7270 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.