The Department has been offering instruction for the award of the degrees of B. A. Honours (since 1975), M. A. (since 1983), M. Phil. (since 1993) and Ph. D (since 1988).
It became a part of the Faculty of Humanities and Languages in 1985. In 1988, the department started teaching Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma courses in Russian and French.
- The teaching of Certificate in Italian started in 2001. From 2007, these languages are being taught at the Centre for European and Latin American Studies,
- One of the major responsibilities of the department is the “General English” course at Jamia Millia Islamia. Undergraduate courses in all subjects, whether science, commerce or arts, include two compulsory English papers, one in the first year and the next in the second year of the degree programme. The department also offers special “bridge” courses and Communicative English Programmes from time to time.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- General English Paper
- Grammar and Composition
- Intermediate Grammar, Usage and Composition
- Modern English: A Book of Grammar, Usage and Composition
- Communicative English
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Admission of eligible candidates to all Programs offered by various faculties and centres of Jamia Millia Islamia shall be done through merit determined on the basis of an Entrance Test conducted by JMI (Except B.Tech, B.Arch, BDS, any other), and wherever applicable, followed by an interview and/or other components.
- For B.Tech., B.Arch., admission is offered to eligible candidates as per merit on the basis of the final ranks of candidate in JEE Main 2021. Admission to BDS program shall be on the basis of merit in NEET-2021 and conducted by Medical Counselling Cell (MCC) of D.G.H.S. GoI. In case of any vacancies transferred to JMI by MCC, the University shall publicize them on its website.
- Candidates obtaining less than 30% marks in the descriptive part of the Entrance Test, wherever applicable, will not be shortlisted for interview/ admission.
International81 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 81 EUR per year during 36 months.
National81 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 81 EUR per year during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.