A qualifying student of the Bachelor in Architecture (Hons) from University of Johannesburg is able to:
- Achieve the specified exit level outcomes of the individual coursework modules and apply these in identifying, developing and resolving an architectural design project as defined by the coursework
- Select and deploy appropriate research methods and processes to the architectural design project of an approved architectural and/or urban design scale
- Analyse, synthesize and expand the research topic into approved architectural briefs which underpin the research and design investigation(s);
- Through the written coursework develop and demonstrate a thorough, integrated understanding of the architectural history and theory. This includes develop academic writing skills, through literature survey and review and precedent studies
- Select and apply the most appropriate means of representation (CAD; drawings; photography; film and/or texts) for the chosen project and present the project in accordance with established national and international professional standards and protocols;
Potential students are required to submit a portfolio and attend an interview. The assessment of both the portfolio and interview will be done by a panel of assessor(s) appointed by the Graduate Programme of Architecture (GPA) Admissions Committee
- Architectural Design Project
- Architectural History and Theory
- Architectural Professional Practice
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Design History View 23 other Bachelors in Design in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A BTech (Architectural Technology) Applied Design degree that carries SACAP ‘Part 1’ and accreditation, with an average mark of 60% and at least 60% for the modules Applied Design 4 and Theory of Design 4. For internal (UJ) candidates who have achieved the minimum admission requirements, no interview is required, although this may be requested;
- A BAS or equivalent degree that carries SACAP ‘Part 1’ accreditation with a 60% average and at least 60% for exit level Design and Design Theory-related modules. Applicants will be required to submit a portfolio of design work and attend an interview;
- An equivalent qualification at an equivalent standard (national or international), as determined by the GPA Admissions Committee after submission of a portfolio and/or interview of the applicant’s own design work.
International851 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 851 EUR per year during 12 months.
(R14,634 – R171,158)
Living costs for Johannesburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.