About the Biomedicine (Hons) course at University of Huddersfield
Whether you’re thinking of a career in pharmaceutics, clinical analysis or research, this course could set you off on the right path. Society is coming to terms with the issues associated with an ageing population. Underpinning the study of common diseases such as dementia, diabetes and cancer is biomedicine.
- This course is accredited by the Royal Society of Biology.
- On this course, you’ll have the chance to delve into how bodily functions at a cellular, tissue and whole body level change during these chronic diseases. You’ll also be able to consider how biomedicine can assist with healthy ageing.
- In addition to learning about these key chronic diseases, you’ll have the opportunity to study the biology of common and rare genetic disorders as well as infectious diseases in temperate and tropical climates.
- Throughout the course you’ll be supported by academics with doctoral-level expertise in their subjects and experience across the biological sciences. Learning through lectures, workshops, online and personal study, you’ll also be able to gain hands-on experience using modern, scientific instruments during specialist biological sciences lab sessions.
- The third year is your chance to step out of the classroom and into the real world, working for an organisation related to your interests. If you choose to take the optional placement year, you’ll have a great opportunity to put your knowledge into action and pick up invaluable skills that could boost your employability and set you up for a successful future career.
As a student on this course you’ll be able to apply for undergraduate membership of the Biochemical Society and The Physiological Society (UK). You’ll also be eligible for student affiliate membership of the Royal Society of Biology and upon successful graduation be eligible to apply for one year associate membership, this can help open up networks at a crucial time when applying for jobs.
Graduates from our Biological Sciences courses can consider a wide range of career options in areas such as medical research, the NHS, molecular sciences, medical genetics, pharmaceuticals, developing scientific patents, medical sales or marketing, medical writing and teaching.
This is a new course and therefore there are no graduates as yet. However, previous graduates from other Biological Sciences courses at Huddersfield have gone on to work in roles such as Clinical Bioinformatician at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Laboratory Technician at ALS, Microbiology Medical Laboratory Technician at IDEXX Laboratories and Nuclear Medicine Sales Executive at Bartec Technologies.
Programme StructureCore modules:
- Research Skills
- Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Medical Pharmacology
- The World of Microbes
- Cell Biology
- Infectious Diseases and Therapeutics
- Research Project
- Medical Genetics
- Immunology and Infection
- Mechanisms and Pathology of Cancer and other Chronics Diseases
- Advanced Physiology
- Applied Molecular Genetics
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiomedicine Health Sciences Biochemistry View 318 other Bachelors in Biomedicine in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Apply through UCAS
BBC at A Level including a grade B in a relevant Science subject. The endorsement for practical work is an essential part of Science A Level study, and is a requirement for entry to our degree course.
- 112 UCAS tariff points from a combination of Level 3 qualifications including a grade B in a relevant Science subject at A Level.
- DMM in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science. Alternatively a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care is acceptable but must be accompanied by another Science A Level at grade C or above.
- Access to Higher Education Diploma with 45 Level 3 credits at Merit or above to include modules in a relevant Science subject.
- 112 UCAS tariff points from International Baccalaureate qualifications which should include modules in a relevant Science subject.
If you do not have the appropriate qualifications for direct entry to this degree you may be able to apply to our Science Extended Degree.
International16000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Huddersfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.