Physics with Theoretical Physics (Hons) Including Placement Year from University of Bath is for you if you want to study a broad physics degree with less emphasis on experimental laboratories and a stronger focus on theoretical, mathematical and computational aspects of physics.
What you'll learn
You'll study the cornerstones of theoretical physics while developing your understanding of their mathematical foundations. Our courses reflect our theoretical research expertise in condensed matter, photonics and astrophysics. The computational physics and programming aspects also reflect the more applied nature of our theoretical research.
The combination of theoretical and practical knowledge of physics and mathematics is highly sought-after by employers and also gives an excellent grounding for postgraduate or industrial research.
You'll study the same units as for our Physics and Physics with Astrophysics courses in year one. In later years, core material expands to include more computational physics, further mathematics and foundational theoretical physics. This gives you the greatest flexibility and makes it possible to change between courses if your interests change once you're at Bath. It also allows you to modify your placement or study year abroad options, or even whether you are on a bachelor’s or master’s programme after you've started.
The master's degree gives you the opportunity to enhance and deepen your knowledge compared to BSc courses, particularly in topics at the forefront of research. You’ll study master's level units and carry out a master's level theoretical/computational research project, giving you ideal preparation for postgraduate study or a career in research.
With the combination of an analytical approach and practical problem-solving skills, physics graduates are in strong demand by employers. A physics degree will enable you to work within a wide range of careers in physics and beyond, such as scientific research and development, engineering, finance, IT, telecommunications or renewable energies. Many graduates also go on to postgraduate study in preparation for academic or industry-based research careers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Electric circuits
- Classical mechanics
- Quantum and atomic physics
- Particles, nuclei and stars
- Fluid dynamics in physics & astrophysics
- Advanced Classical Mechanics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences Electronics & Embedded Technology View 166 other Bachelors in Astronomy & Space Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Your application, especially your personal statement, should demonstrate your enthusiasm for studying physics. This might include relevant reading, voluntary or work experience, areas of interest from your current studies or other relevant extra-curricular and co-curricular activities.
- You will need a strong performance in both Mathematics and Physics as part of your entry qualifications.
- A*AA in three A levels including Mathematics and Physics with A* in Maths or Physics (or Further Mathematics if applicable).
- International Baccalaureate: 36 points
- D*DD in the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) plus grade A in A level Mathematics.
- D*D*D* in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF) plus grade A in A level Mathematics.
- Scottish Highers: AA in Advanced Highers
- European Baccalaureate: 85% overall
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International24500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24500 GBP per year during 60 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.