The degree is similar to our Earth Science BSc Honours, but includes a year of advanced study at master's level.
Earth science covers everything from the formation of rocks and minerals to the impact of human activity in the environment.The Earth Science (Honours) programme of Newcastle University prepares you for a wide range of possible careers – from geology to geomatics, and from geochemistry to environmental consultant. Whatever you choose, you'll be equipped with relevant skills in:
- experimental science
- scientific investigation
- project management
Your final year research project will deepen your knowledge and enable you to work with internationally leading researchers and professionals.
Earth science graduates are well qualified to enter a wide range of careers and the geoscience industry has a shortage of graduates with the skills taught in this course.
You will be able to enter the global geology industry with potential careers in:
- water supply
- environmental sectors
The emerging alternative energy industry also needs these skills.
You will also develop a portfolio of graduate transferable skills that are highly valued by a wide range of employers outside the earth science sector, and which can open the door to graduate-entry programmes with major employers, such as:
- team working
- data analysis
- data interpretation
- Environment and Land Resources
- Earth System Science
- Earth Surface Materials
- Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- Geographic Information Systems
- Remote Sensing
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geology Environmental Sciences View 218 other Bachelors in Geology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- ABB - BBB including two from Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Geography, Biology or similar science-based A Level, but excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking. For Biology, Chemistry and Physics A Levels, we require a pass in the practical element. GCSE Mathematics (minimum grade B or 6) required if not offered at A or AS Level.
- 32 points with at least one science subject at Higher Level grade 5 from: Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Environmental Science, Psychology and Physics. Mathematics or Mathematical Studies at Standard Level grade 4 if not offered at Higher Level.
International25200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Newcastle upon Tyne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.