The MEng Biomaterials Engineering (Hons) degree from Loughborough University has been designed to develop versatile materials scientists and engineers with a leaning towards industrial sectors such as healthcare, regenerative medicine, and medical devices, but with the skills and flexibility to succeed equally well in aerospace, automotive, power generation and manufacturing, amongst many others. The MEng differs from the BEng course in the third and fourth years by offering the opportunity to study technical and management topics at a more advanced level.
By its nature, this course is interdisciplinary, and benefits from the expertise of our School of Sports, Exercise and Health Sciences and Chemical Engineering department (Regenerative Medicine).
Our Biomaterials Engineering degree is a comprehensive programme of modules that deliver both the theory and the essential industrial relevance employers seek from graduates. The course content encompasses all aspects of materials and biomaterials; their selection, manufacture, testing, assembly and environmental impact both during production and at the end of life.
Your future career
There are excellent career prospects in Biomaterials related and healthcare sectors spanning both passive devices (e.g. orthopaedic implants, prosthetics, contact lenses etc.) through to active devices encompassing a range of medical device technologies (e.g. pacemakers, cochlear implants and insulin pumps).
Many other career opportunities also exist, in sectors more usually associated with Materials Engineering such as Automotive, Aerospace, Construction, Sports and Leisure, Electronics, Food and Retail, together with more generic careers in business, banking/finance and general management.
This course is accredited by the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3), providing a route to Chartered Engineering status following graduation. The Department strongly believes in the benefits professional institutes and industry bodies can bring, and finances membership of the IOM3 for all students.
- Experimentation and Practical Skills
- Thermodynamics and its Applications
- Computer Aided Engineering
- Materials Applications and Engineering Design
- Mathematics for Materials
- Materials Processing
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Materials Science & Engineering Human Medicine View 230 other Bachelors in Materials Science & Engineering in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A-Level: AAA including two from Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- IB: 37 (6,6,6 HL) including any two of Maths, Biology, Chemistry or Physics at HL
- BTEC: BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in a relevant subject: D*DD with Distinctions in all Maths Units
- GCSE: GCSE Maths Grade 4/C
- We accept a wide range of international qualifications such as the European Baccalaureate, French Baccalaureate, German Abitur, Hong Kong DSE, and Indian Standard XII among many others worldwide, alongside well-established International Foundation Programmes. For further information about acceptable qualifications visit our international webpages for more information.
International25700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25700 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Loughborough
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.