Develop your knowledge and research skills in a variety of biological sciences and specialise in areas which interest you the most in this Biological Sciences (Hons) course at the Edinburgh Napier University . There will therefore be some aspects that are similar to the other degree structures, but allowing flexibility. You'll benefit from studying in Edinburgh and the surrounding countryside which is rich in biodiversity, and visit local sites of outstanding natural beauty and special scientific interest.
You’ll develop biological skills relevant to your chosen area, such as good laboratory practice, competence in microbiological techniques and field surveying.
Our biological science courses give you the option to study the areas of biology which interest you the most.
The applied nature of this course develops skills that make you more employable including team working, problem solving, research, communication and IT. As well as specialist analytical and numerical skills, you will be able to collect biological data and communicate scientific information.
The skills you will gain prepare you for work in a number of areas. You can also continue on to postgraduate study, including possible PhD and further academic study.
- A Biological Sciences degree gives you a breadth of knowledge applicable to careers ranging from teaching to laboratory research. The flexible nature of this programme is a particularly good preparation for those who are considering a career in school teaching or general biology.
- You'll be qualified for work in industrial research and development, production, quality control, sales and marketing and consultancy.
- The emphasis on research in this course equips you with the knowledge and skills required to continue on to postgraduate study, including possible PhD study and a further academic career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundation in Science
- Life on Earth
- Comparative anatomy and physiology
- Scientific enquiry
- Applied Microbiology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesBiology Natural Sciences Biochemistry View 858 other Bachelors in Biology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Standard Entry Requirement
- BBBB including Human Biology, Biology, Chemistry or Physics.
Minimum Offer Entry Requirement
- BBCC including Human Biology, Biology, Chemistry or Physics.
- BCC including Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Applied Science.
BTEC (QCF) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Minimum grades DMM (Distinction, Merit, Merit) in a related subject.
BTEC (QCF) National Diploma Level 3 plus A Level
- Minimum grades DM (Distinction, Merit) in a related subject.
- A Level grade C
Irish Leaving Certificate
- Grades H2/H2/H3/H3 including a Science subject (Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Award of Diploma with 28 points overall with three HL subjects at grades 6, 5, 4 including a Science (Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry or Physics) at minimum grade 5.
- 70% with Grade 7 in three subjects including Human Biology, Biology, Chemistry or Physics
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16425 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16425 GBP per year during 48 months.
National1820 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1820 GBP per year during 48 months.
- Scotland: £305/module - part-time
- England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Republic of Ireland - £9,250 FT/£1,157 PT
- Overseas and EU - £16,425 FT/£2,738 PT
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.