Students enrolling in the BA in Motion Pictures Studies at the Eötvös Loránd University can gain knowledge in the making of motion pictures focusing on directorial skills with the help of well-prepared professors and small group education. Students will get acquainted with the creative, artistic approaches and the technological skills of the creation of motion pictures through practices of storytelling and direction of different forms of motion pictures and will gain basic knowledge in cinematography, editing and production.
This program enables students to gain experience in the field of the motion picture production including creative artistic, technical and financial decisions. During their studies they will also get acquainted with the history of motion pictures and the intermedial relations of film and other arts, like music, fine arts or literature. The BA in Motion Picture Studies will enable them to produce works in different fields of creative industry such as short or long feature films or documentaries, television or online media products, music videos, and other motion picture products.
Students, when finishing the program, must have:
- extensive knowledge of all phases of the technological processes of film and television production from pre-production to post-production.
- knowledge about the mechanism and operation of technical equipment necessary for film and television directing.
- basic knowledge about the temporal, technical and professional requirements of the different phases of film and television directing.
- sufficient knowledge in screenwriting, editing, cinematography and production to be able to cooperate with and guide the work of their colleagues operating in these fields.
- comprehensive knowledge about acting, and directing actors, theoretical and practical principles, techniques and trends of theatre and cinema.
Strength of program
As the program is practice based, the core instructors and faculty members are professionals working in different fields of the cinema industry with long experience in realizing projects or working with university students. Most of them are award winning creators, film and television directors, cinematographers, editors, and scriptwriters. Some of them have international experience in filmmaking and teaching. Other courses are provided by faculty members specialized in film theory, film history, theatre, music or fine arts, all internationally acknowledged researchers and teachers with long experience.
Extensive practical courses and small group education enable students to develop their knowledge and skills in different fields of the creation of motion pictures, and to discover their strength which will help them to start and pursue a career in the creative industry.
- Film History
- Film and Other Arts
- Fine Arts and Film
- Introduction to the Aesthetics and Theory of Theatre
- Film and Psychology
- Television Genres and Programs
- Cinema and Genres
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
The application deadline will be announced later.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 7 other Bachelors in Media Studies & Mass Media in Hungary
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The students who can apply for the Motion Picture Studies BA Program are expected to present the documentation of their certificate of matriculation from a secondary school and to submit their application with the necessary attachments.
- The university accepts only certificates, which are equivalent to the Hungarian certificate of matriculation, thus appropriate for continuing one’s studies in university education. If the certificate is not in English, the university needs an official translation, which could be a translation by the secondary school as well.
- Record of the final two years in secondary school
- Motivation Letter
- Link to a motion picture product
- The synopsis of a future film project
- Statement of authorship
- Copy of the main pages of the passport
- Copy of application fee transfer
- Copy of the Entrance exam fee transfer
International8600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4300 EUR per semester during 36 months.
EU/EEA8600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4300 EUR per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Budapest
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.