The Bachelor of Northern Studies degree program at UIT the Arctic University of Norway is an international study program designed for students who want to develop a interdisciplinary competence on the circumpolar north. All courses are given on-site.
The BNS degree programme is designed to provide students with interdisciplinary insights and a wide, but profound, knowledge on the Subarctic and Arctic Regions.
BNS opens a variety of possibilities for interesting careers in both public and private sectors. The Barents cooperation and overall increased internationalization and several intersections between public and private sector provides a growing need to see and to exploit new opportunities.
Both the northern educational sector, its municipalities and county governance bodies, as well as several national State agencies, all have need for candidates with analytical training, promotional abilities and generalist knowledge on the complexities of the Subarctic and Arctic Regions.
The BNS programme also prepares students for career-entry in the private sector; commercial and non-profit organizations at the local, national or international level. It is also relevant for companies working with export / import, logistics and security in the Euro-Arctic, and several branches related to northern service-industries such as tourism, cross-border trade, raw material and energy production, etc.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Land and Environment of the Circumpolar World
- High North Politics and Barents cooperation
- Regional Economy and Innovation
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
National deadline - Applicants from Norway or other Nordic countries
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Geography
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Higher Education Entrance Qualification and certified language requirements in English.
- A list of the requirements for the Higher Education Entrance Qualification in Norway can be found on the web site from the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT). For language requirements we refer to NOKUT's GSU-list.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
- All students are required to pay a semester fee of NOK 625 per semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.