During this new four-year BSc (Hons) Ocean Sciences with Foundation Year degree at the University of Plymouth you will explore the diverse range of open ocean, coastal, hydrographic and conservation specialisations this course offers. If your current qualifications don’t allow you direct entry to degree level or if you have been out of formal education for some time, this course is for you.
- tudy the physical, biological, chemical and mathematical principles that underpin the marine sciences.
- Build your confidence as an independent learner as you develop research, analytical and scientific reporting skills throughout the year.
- Learn about current issues in marine sciences from research-active staff who are passionate about their subjects.
- Study under the guidance of a personal academic tutor from the School of Biological and Marine Sciences.
- Subject to successful completion of the foundation year (Year 0), choose from progression routes that will help you gain a sound knowledge base across all areas of ocean science with options to develop specialist skills in marine conservation, oceanography or hydrography.
- Experience the university life right from the start, being taught by staff who teach on the degree courses.
- Practical sessions are held in our well-appointed laboratories.
- Excellent mathematics support via SUM: UP drop-in centre.
- The foundation year is an integral part of the extended degree. Completion of the foundation year will not lead to a separate award or qualification its own right but will provide access to Year 1 of your degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Study and Mathematical Skills for Science
Mathematics and Statistics for Science
Issues in Marine Sciences
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Marine Engineering View 945 other Bachelors in Biology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- UCAS tariff
32 - 48
The foundation year is intended for highly motivated students who wish to study the marine sciences, but who do not yet meet the usual criteria for entry to the first year of our honours degree courses.
- A level: 32-48 points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, including at least one pass in a relevant science subject: Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Geology, Geography. Excluding General Studies.
- BTEC: 18 Unit BTEC National Diploma/QCF Extended Diploma PPP in a science related subject. 12 Unit BTEC National Certificate/QCF Diploma MP in a science related subject.
- International Baccalaureate: 24 overall to include 1 subject from science such as biology/human biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics. English and mathematics must be included.
- GCSE: mathematics and English at grade C/4 or above.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14600 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Part time (Home) £770per 10 credits
Living costs for Plymouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.