Whether you want to be a financial forecaster, a researcher or even a future leader of industry, our lively and involving economics courses prepare you for success. Develop the ability to analyse economic information through theoretical and practical research-based modules, and gain essential analytical and numerical skills. The BSc (Hons) Economics with Foundation Year course is offered at the University of Plymouth .
- The foundation year is an integral part of the extended degree and you will benefit from experienced university lecturers. Whilst completion of the foundation year will not lead to a separate award or qualification in its own right, you will be able to confidently progress to further study within the Plymouth Business School.
- We emphasise a real-world application based approach in many modules which integrates theoretical and evidence based analysis in order to best support your development as a professional economist.
- We recognise that our students are diverse with different backgrounds and interests. Our course offers contemporary electives enabling you to tailor your degree to your personal interests. In addition to our flexible economics pathway we offer a financial economics pathway that allows you to specialise in international trade and finance.
- Enhance your employability by completing a placement year. You will be supported by the University's excellent careers service and dedicated placement preparation sessions.
- A programme not only designed to develop your skills and capabilities as an economist but also to offer numerous opportunities to build your CV in other ways for example through opportunities for micro-credentialing, engaging in real world problem based learning and active researching. We do this because we know it is key to student academic and graduate success.
- The Bloomberg Interactive Learning Suite allows students to research fields such as corporate finance, derivative markets, portfolio and risk analytics, real-time data and investment simulations.
Careers with this subject:
Competition for graduate jobs is fierce. The combination of academic excellence and practical knowledge we encourage on this course will help you stand out when it comes to entering the world of work.
Our students graduate ready to take on all sorts of finance and economics roles – from industry economist to financial risk analyst.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Lay the foundations for future study by building a comprehensive overview of core economic theory and its use.
- Study micro- and macroeconomics in depth and improve your quantitative and analytical skills with the study of econometrics and research methods.
- Get paid for hands-on work experience and develop your economic flair. We support you to find the most suitable private or public sector placement.
- Learn more about the global economy and specialise in business, finance, environmental or economics topics of your choice, including economic modelling and game theory.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Accounting View 500 other Bachelors in Accounting in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- UCAS tariff
- 18 Unit BTEC National Diploma/QCF Extended Diploma
PPP-MMP in any subject.
- BTEC National Diploma modules
If you hold a BTEC qualification it is vital that you provide our Admissions team with details of the exact modules you have studied as part of the BTEC.
- International Baccalaureate: 24-25 overall to include 4 at any subject at Higher Level. English and Maths accepted within: Higher Level = 4, Standard Level = 5.
- Pass access course (any subject) plus GCSE English and Maths grade C / 4 or above or equivalent.
- New Irish Highers: From 2017 32-80 points.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14600 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Plymouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.