This Applied Linguistics and English Language BA course offered by University of Southampton is for EU or international students that are non-native English speakers.
Each year you'll take advanced English language lessons. What is applied linguistics? It is the science of language. You'll explore linguistics and its structure, grammar and sounds. You'll study how language develops and look at the literature and culture from other countries that speak English.
You can also choose modules on British life and society, and more advanced topics including:
After 3 years, you’ll understand much more about the English language, including its:
- geography, history and politics
- educational context
In your final year, you’ll write a dissertation in an area that interests you.
As part of this applied linguistics degree course you can:
- use the Centre for Language Study, including the English resources room
- join one of 40 performing arts groups
- take part in writing workshops at Nuffield Southampton Theatres
- experiment with writing at our Entropics events
Previous graduates have gone onto careers including:
- international development
- advertising, film and television
- Applications of Linguistics
- Elements of Linguistics - Sound, Structure and Meaning
- English Language Stage
- From English to Englishes
- Globalisation: Culture, Language and The Nation State
- How the Arts Work: A Practical Introduction to Cultural Economics
- Language, Ideologies and Attitudes
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 715 other Bachelors in Linguistics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Southampton and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
One of the following:
- A-levels: ABB
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: Pass, with 32 points overall with 16 points at Higher Level
International19300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19300 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU and international students pay £19,300.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.