You’ll begin Lancaster University's German Studies and Spanish Studies (Hons) degree with German and Spanish courses which both have a language-specific cultural component. You will also study a minor subject that complements your degree, which may be another language.
Building on your language skills in Year 2, you will also study the culture, politics and history of Germany and Spain in more depth, as well as selecting courses which are international in scope and promote a comparative understanding of Europe and beyond.
Spending your third year abroad in a German-speaking country gives you the opportunity to develop your language proficiency while deepening your intercultural sensitivity. You can study at a partner institution or conduct a work placement. As a joint major student, you can spend your time in a German- or Spanish-speaking country, or split the year between the two.
In your fourth year, you will continue developing your core German and Spanish language skills. You will combine this with language-specific modules such as ‘Literature and Fame in Contemporary Germany’. You may also choose some comparative culture courses, such as ‘Mirrors across Media: Reflexivity in Literature, Film, Comics and Video Games’
- German Studies
- Spanish Studies
- German Language: Oral Skills
- German Language: Written Skills
- Shaping Contemporary German-speaking Europe: Moments and Movements
- Shaping Contemporary Spain and Latin America: Moments and Movements
- Spanish Language: Oral Skills
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Linguistics View 728 other Bachelors in Linguistics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Level ABB
- Required Subjects A level German and/or Spanish. Native German or Spanish speakers will not be accepted onto this scheme.
- International Baccalaureate 32 points overall with 16 points from the best 3 Higher Level subjects including 6 in German HL and/or Spanish HL
- BTEC Considered alongside A level German and/or Spanish
International20930 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20930 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Lancaster
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.