Your German Studies and English Literature (Hons) programme enables you to acquire high-level language skills and gain a thorough understanding of the country’s historical, cultural, social and political background in a global context. In English Literature you will study a wide range of authors, genres, historical periods, literary movements, techniques and critical approaches.
Your first year at Lancaster University comprises an exploration of the German language and its cultural context, as well as a core module in English Literature. Alongside this, you can choose another English module such as World Literature or Creative Writing, or alternatively a minor subject that complements your degree.
Building on your language skills in Year 2, you will study the culture, politics and history of Germany and Austria in more depth, as well as selecting modules which are international in scope and promote a comparative understanding of Europe and beyond. You will combine these with the core English module, ‘The Theory and Practice of Criticism’ and choose options such as ‘British Romanticism’, ‘Literature and Film’ and ‘American Literature to 1900’.
Spending your third year abroad in a German-speaking country gives you the opportunity to develop your language proficiency while deepening your intercultural sensitivity. You can study at a partner institution or conduct a work placement.
In your final year, you consolidate your German language skills, and study specialist culture and comparative modules, such as ‘Mirrors across Media: Reflexivity in Literature, Film, Comics and Video Games’. You will also select English Literature modules such as the full-year ‘Shakespeare’ and ‘Contemporary Literature’ as well as choosing from a variety of specialist half-year modules.
- English Literature
- German Studies
- German Language: Oral Skills
- German Language: Written Skills
- Shaping Contemporary German-speaking Europe: Moments and Movements
- The Theory and Practice of Criticism
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Linguistics View 752 other Bachelors in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Level AAB
- Required Subjects A level English Literature or A level English Language and Literature grade A. A level German, or if this is to be studied from beginners’ level, AS grade B or A level grade B in another foreign language, or GCSE grade A or 7 in a foreign language. Native German speakers will not be accepted onto this scheme.
- International Baccalaureate 35 points overall with 16 points from the best 3 Higher Level subjects including 6 in a HL Literature subject, and appropriate evidence of language ability
- BTEC Considered alongside A level English Literature or A level English Language and Literature grade A, and appropriate evidence of language ability
International20930 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20930 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Lancaster
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.