Language is fundamental to our thoughts, our relationships, and our civilisations. Through language, we transmit knowledge, from inviting someone for coffee, to promoting the latest scientific theory, to settling global political disputes.
You specialise in at least two modern languages, becoming highly proficient in at least one language. Language study is combined from the third year with translation skills.
In your first and second years, you study practical language modules to develop your language skills. French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish can be studied with Mandarin Chinese taken as an option. These languages are all widely used in the business world and many of our graduates have developed successful global careers with international firms.
Your third year is spent studying abroad with modules taken in language and translation. You also develop your analytical thinking and problem-solving skills and expand your linguistic and translation skills and communication proficiency in your chosen language.
Your future after the Integrated Masters in European Languages and Translation at University of Essex
Companies and organisations in the UK and abroad are struggling to find university graduates who are fluent in at least one other language, apart from English.
Being an Essex modern languages graduate places you in a very advantageous position. You will be able to speak and write fluently, or to a very competent standard, in up to four languages. Language skills are in scarce supply and can be used in almost any job.
Alongside skills in translation and subtitling, you also gain key employability skills such as researching and writing for specific purposes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Careers and Employability Skills for Languages and Linguistics
- Intensive Initial French
- Higher Intermediate French
- Advanced French
- Higher Intermediate German
- Advanced German
- Portuguese Conversion
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Translation & Interpreting View 42 other Bachelors in Translation & Interpreting in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A-levels: ABB
- BTEC: Entry requirements for students studying BTEC qualifications are dependent on subjects studied. Advice can be provided on an individual basis. The standard required is generally at Distinction level.
- IB: 32 points or three Higher Level certificates with 655.
- We are also happy to consider a combination of separate IB Diploma Programmes at both Higher and Standard Level. Exact offer levels will vary depending on the range of subjects being taken at higher and standard level, and the course applied for. Please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office for more information.
- Access to HE Diploma: 39 Level 3 credits at Merit or above and 6 at Distinction, depending on subject studied - advice on acceptability can be provided.
- T-levels: Distinction* - Entry requirements for students studying T-level qualifications are dependent on subjects studied. Advice can be provided on an individual basis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17700 GBP per year during 60 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.