In your first and second years, you study practical language modules to develop your language skills. French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish can be studied to Mastery level. These languages are all widely used in the business world and many of our graduates have developed successful global careers with international firms.
Your third year is spent studying abroad with modules taken in language and translation. In your fourth year, you return to Essex and carry out an independent research project, supported by your supervisor. This project develops your ability to conduct research, work with complex sources of information in your chosen language and employ research methods. You also develop your analytical thinking and problem-solving skills and expand your linguistic and translation skills and communication proficiency in your chosen language. The project is the culmination of both your undergraduate studies and preparation for your final year where you take postgraduate modules.
Companies and organisations in the UK and abroad are struggling to find university graduates who are fluent in at least one other language, apart from English.
Being an Essex modern languages graduate places you in a very advantageous position. You will be able to speak and write fluently, or to a very competent standard, in up to four languages. Language skills are in scarce supply and can be used in almost any job.
Alongside skills in translation and subtitling, you also gain key employability skills such as researching and writing for specific purposes.
The European Languages and Translation graduates at the University of Essex are successful in a wide variety of career paths. They leave Essex with a unique set of skills and experience that are in demand by employers. Some become teachers, translators, administrators and journalists. Their valued language, interpreting and subtitling skills have enabled them to work in diverse fields including banking, entertainment, media, education and tourism, as well as for a host of UK and international companies. In particular, this degree lends itself to a career in education, translation, interpretation, trade, PR, communications, immigration or diplomacy.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- We offer a flexible course structure with a mixture of compulsory modules and options chosen from lists. Below is just one example of a combination of modules we offer for the current academic year. For a full list of optional modules you can look at the course’s Programme Specification.
- Our research-led teaching is continually evolving to address the latest challenges and breakthroughs in the field, therefore all modules listed are subject to change.
- Our courses allow you to study up to two, three or four modern languages. The language module you study depends upon your level when you arrive in the department. We are happy to accept students with no previous knowledge of the language (unless you major in Portuguese, when an A-level pass (or equivalent) in Italian, Spanish or Portuguese or first language level fluency in Italian, Romanian or Spanish is required).
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Translation & Interpreting View 1725 other Bachelors in Languages in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A-levels: ABB
- BTEC: Entry requirements for students studying BTEC qualifications are dependent on subjects studied. Advice can be provided on an individual basis. The standard required is generally at Distinction level.
- IB: 32 points or three Higher Level certificates with 655.
- We are also happy to consider a combination of separate IB Diploma Programmes at both Higher and Standard Level. Exact offer levels will vary depending on the range of subjects being taken at higher and standard level, and the course applied for.
- Access to HE Diploma: 39 Level 3 credits at Merit or above and 6 at Distinction, depending on subject studied - advice on acceptability can be provided.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16850 GBP per year during 60 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.