Besides studying the core language modules, you will also choose from a broad range of specialist cultural, historical and political modules that provide comparative insight into relevant countries in global contexts.
Lancaster University's Chinese Studies and German Studies (Hons) degree structure assumes that you will be studying one of the languages from scratch and will already be at an advanced level for the other. In year one, language modules will include:
- Either Advanced Chinese and Intensive Beginners German (one module of each)
- Or Advanced German and Intensive Beginners Chinese (one module of each)
- And our culture in context programme, Language Studies
In addition to language modules, in year one you will also select one module from other related subjects.
In the second year, you will continue to take Chinese and German language modules (an oral and a written module for each language), as well as the core modules 'Shaping Contemporary China' and 'Shaping Contemporary German-speaking Europe'.
Your third year will be spent studying or working in Chinese- and/or German-speaking countries. The year abroad is an immersive experience that gives you the opportunity to greatly improve your language proficiency while deepening your intercultural awareness. You can study at a partner academic institution or conduct a work placement. As a joint major student, you can spend your time in a German- or Chinese-speaking country, or split the year between the two.
When you return to Lancaster for your final year, you will continue to develop your core Chinese and German language oral and written skills, combining this with a further choice of specialist courses. If you are interested in exploring a particular topic in depth, perhaps a subject you have studied previously in the course, you could take a dissertation module.
- Chinese Studies
- German Studies
- Language studies
- Chinese Language: Oral Skills
- Chinese Language: Written Skills
- German Language: Oral Skills
- German Language: Written Skills
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Literature View 1676 other Bachelors in Languages in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Level ABB
- Required Subjects A level Chinese and/or German. Native German or Mandarin speakers will not be accepted onto this scheme.
- International Baccalaureate 32 points overall with 16 points from the best 3 Higher Level subjects including 6 in German HL and/or 6 in Chinese HL
- BTEC Considered alongside A level German and/or Chinese
International20930 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20930 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Lancaster
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.