The programme enables you to acquire high-level Chinese language skills while gaining a thorough understanding of China’s historical, cultural, social and political background in a global context. Chinese may be studied at either beginner or advanced level. In English Literature you will study a wide range of authors, genres, historical periods, literary movements, techniques and critical approaches.
The first year at Lancaster University’s Chinese Studies and English Literature (Hons) comprises an exploration of the Chinese language and its cultural context, as well as a core module in English Literature. Alongside this, you can choose another English Literature module such as World Literature or Introduction to Creative Writing.
As well as language and subject-related skills, a degree in languages develops rich interpersonal, intercultural, cognitive and transferable skills. Combined with the communication, self-expression, research and critical understanding skills gained studying English Literature, a wide range of business and public-sector roles will be open. Graduates go on to work in publishing, journalism, librarianship, television and the media, IT, business development, civil service, events management, finance, research and sales, as well as teaching and translating both in the UK and abroad.
Many graduates continue their studies at Lancaster, making the most of our excellent postgraduate research facilities. We offer Masters degrees in Translation, Languages and Cultures, English Literary Studies and Creative Writing, as well as a range of PhD research degrees.
- English Literature
- Chinese Studies
- Language studies
- Chinese Language: Oral Skills
- Chinese Language: Written Skills
- The Theory and Practice of Criticism
- American Literature to 1900
- British Romanticism
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Literature View 753 other Bachelors in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Level AAB
- Required Subjects A level English Literature or A level English Language and Literature grade A. A level Chinese, or if this is to be studied from beginners’ level, AS grade B or A level grade B in another foreign language, or GCSE grade A or 7 in a foreign language. Native Mandarin speakers will not be accepted onto this scheme.
- International Baccalaureate 35 points overall with 16 points from the best 3 Higher Level subjects including 6 in a HL Literature subject, and appropriate evidence of language ability
- BTEC Considered alongside A level English Literature or A level English Language and Literature grade A, and appropriate evidence of language ability
International20930 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20930 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Lancaster
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.