With only 41% of teachers in Maryland being prepared in-state, the proposed degree is timely and uniquely prepares graduates for employment in this critical occupational growth area. No other institution of higher education in Maryland offers a Middle Grades STEM degree.
The Bachelor of Science in Middle Grades STEM at University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) was developed in collaboration with UMBC’s Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics departments along with its College of Engineering and Information Technology to ensure that the program includes in-depth understanding of all STEM content areas. The education coursework is patterned after existing UMBC teacher certification programs but tailored to focus on characteristics of teaching specific to middle grades and STEM so that graduates can engage their students in meaningful inquiry-driven instruction as required by new education standards (e.g., Maryland College and Career Readiness Mathematical Standards, Next Generation Science Standards). The new degree will further UMBC’s mission to prepare its talented undergraduate students for entry into the workforce, community service, and leadership.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Inquiry into Education
- Psychological Foundations of Education
- Inclusion and Instruction
- Reading in the Content Area
- School, Family, and Community Partnerships for Middle Grades STEM Success
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 3631 other Bachelors in Education in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- If you have or are currently earning your high school/secondary school diploma or equivalent but have not earned college credits at the university level AFTER earning your diploma, you should apply to UMBC as a first-year student.
- We weigh a number of factors in making admission decisions. In addition to grade point average and standardized test scores, the strength of your curriculum, class rank, and other achievements as well as your essay will be considered. We expect applicants to have completed a strong college preparatory program of study from an accredited high school/secondary school.
- If you have attended a postsecondary institution, such as a college or university, outside the United States, submit course by course credentials evaluated through one of the following evaluation services.
- Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International28470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28470 USD per year during 48 months.
National28470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28470 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State12280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12280 USD per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.