Our Bachelor of Medical Imaging (Honours) (BMedImag(Hons)) is the first undergraduate Medical Imaging programme and the only honours degree in Medical Imaging to be offered by a university in New Zealand.
Our graduates will be eligible to apply for registration with the New Zealand Medical Radiation Technologists Board (MRTB). The BMedImag(Hons) programme is currently being assessed for accreditation by the MRTB.
The programme is evidence-based and research-led and you will benefit from a combination of academic and clinical studies. The programme offers practical experience in simulation labs, hospitals and private radiology facilities so you will be well prepared to apply your learning in the clinical workplace. The extensive hands-on clinical experience throughout is supported by experienced Medical Imaging Technologists (MITs). Study with us towards a rewarding and patient-centred career as a Medical Imaging Technologist.
You will be selected on the basis of academic merit and personal qualities exhibited during the admission interview (MMI). The Medical Imaging (Honours) programme is offered by the University of Auckland .
Where could this programme take you?
Medical Imaging Technologists (MITs) can work in a variety of roles either in public hospitals or private radiology practices. Most will begin their career in general radiographic imaging (x-ray) with opportunities to also work in computed tomography (CT), angiography and mammography.
MITs may subsequently choose to pursue additional studies to practise in specialisations such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound and nuclear medicine.
Jobs related to this programme
- Academic or researcher
- Clinical applications training specialist
- MRI technologist
- Manager in a medical imaging department
- Medical imaging technologist (MIT)
- Nuclear medicine technologist
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- You will initially need to complete the first year of a BSc, taking prescribed courses in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, as well as a General Education course. Graduate entrants may be directed to include some or all of the Part I courses depending on their background.
- In subsequent years (Parts II–IV) you will complete courses in radiographic positioning and image acquisition, the physical principles and technology of medical imaging, image optimisation and evaluation, patient care and safety, sectional imaging anatomy and pathology, professional and evidence-based practice, and specialised imaging.
- You will also gain clinical experience in simulation labs, hospitals and private radiology facilities, and produce a final-year dissertation that develops your analytical and research skills in Medical Imaging.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Complementary & Alternative Medicine Health Sciences View 20 other Bachelors in Human Medicine in New Zealand
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- To apply for BMedImag(Hons) as an undergraduate student, you must complete the first year of the Bachelor of Science (BSc) at the University of Auckland, or the Health Sciences First Year at the University of Otago. This must be completed on a full-time basis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International31678 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31678 USD per year during 48 months.
National5204 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5204 USD per year during 48 months.
- Domestic students: NZ$7,279.20 – $9,565.20
- International students: NZ$44,310
Living costs for Auckland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.