Funded by The Language Flagship, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, PSU's program is one of only six programs in the U.S. Through coursework, one-on-one tutoring, internships and extensive study abroad opportunities in the Russian-speaking world, you'll gain marketable skills and be prepared for exciting careers that use critical language skills in a globalized world.
Our Flagship alumni have gone on to careers in U.S.-Russian relations, federal and state government, political science, international journalism, international ethics, physics and space exploration, language psychology and teaching English as a second language.
You'll graduate the World Languages - Advanced Proficiency In Russian program at Portland State University with a double major in Russian and the major of your choice, as well as receive a Certificate of Advanced Proficiency in Russian to show you've achieved Superior (professional) proficiency in Russian.
Many of our graduates find jobs working in U.S. national security, diplomacy, and homeland security, as well as media, business, non-profit social services and education. Others have joined the Peace Corps, or decided to pursue graduate studies in international relations, history, law, politics, or Russian and Eastern European studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Russian Grammar
- Russian Phonetics and Phonology
- Topics in Contemporary Russian Culture
- Flagship Studies: Russian in the Major
- Flagship Studies: Globalization
- Topics in Russian Literature of the 19th Century
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 2147 other Bachelors in Languages in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- To enroll as a freshman (first year), you must have completed secondary school or high school. Your education must be equivalent to United States secondary school or high school education.
- You must have a cumulative (overall) grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 when converted to the U.S. 4.0 grading scale.
- Meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement. You may be admitted to Portland State University and an Intensive English Language Program (IELP) pathway if you do not meet PSU's English Language Proficiency Requirement. Learn more about PSU’s English language programs.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International29286 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29286 USD per year
National29286 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29286 USD per year
In-State10386 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10386 USD per year
Living costs for Portland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.