In bioinformatics, molecular biology is combined with informatics and programming. A bioinformatics scientist is capable of retrieving the necessary information from databases and of using these to make predictions. The Advanced Bachelor of Bioinformatics programme is offered at Howest University of Applied Sciences.
As a bioinformatician you will look for application possibilities of informatics within the (biological/biomedical) laboratory.
- Informatics scientist:
- Bioinformatics scientist:
integration by scripting and automation of bioinformatics tools
The use of bioinformatics within the biomedical/biological field of work is very widespread. Yet, it is sometimes difficult to find the right jobs based solely on a job title. Don't get lost in your search for the perfect job title, but dare to search more broadly for relevant jobs. A limited and incomplete list of possible work areas:
- Laboratories for Molecular Diagnostics within hospitals are increasingly making use of "Next-Generation Sequencing" within the field of DNA diagnostics.
- Centers for Medical Genetics provide services and research for the diagnosis and care of patients with hereditary disorders.
- University research groups within Biotechnology are conducting their experiments on a larger scale and need IT solutions to process the produced molecular data.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Web technologies (programmer)
- Linux operating systems (informatics scientist)
- Comparative genomic analysis (bioinformatics scientist)
- Data analysis, visualization and biostatistics using R (programmer)
- Databases and data management (informatics scientists)
- Structural bioinformatics (bio-informatics scientist)
- Scripting (programmer)
- Data mining (informatics scientist)
- High throughput analysis (bio-informatics scientist)
- Systems biology (bio-informatics scientist)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Sciences Bioinformatics Genetics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- In first instance, we ask you to provide us with a transcript of records proving you have sufficient knowledge of molecular biology. After we have verified this, the admission office at Howest will also verify your English proficiency (at least B2 level)
International1033 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1033 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1033 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1033 EUR per year during 24 months.
The cost of the programme consists of three parts: a fixed administrative cost, a variable cost based on the number of credits taken and a cost for the compulsory software package of Howest (in the context of legal software). The cost of the day programme (60 credits) comes to 1.033,2 € and for the @home programme (30 credits) to 652,2 € (under reserve).
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.