The overall aim of the Preparatory Course for Higher Diploma in Health Science in Nursing Studies programme from the University of Malta is to equip prospective nurses with the knowledge, skills and competences associated with competent, caring and professional practitioners, who are committed to provide quality nursing care in a variety of health and social care settings and to their continued professional and academic development.
It is in view of this that this course comprises both theoretical and practical components, with a diversified content that is designed to develop the students’ ability to draw upon the various types of knowledge, the appropriate skills and an understanding of an individual’s personal choices, to guide appropriate nursing action in a variety of settings.
The course aims to:
- Prepare prospective nurses who through critical thinking, knowledge and reflection are able to practice independently in a professional, accountable manner;
- Provide students with knowledge of the theories and concepts that underpin and challenge nursing practice;
- Provide students with the knowledge, skills and attitudes central to nursing to function effectively as a professional nurse; and
- Provide students with the interpersonal skills to be key members of the multidisciplinary team within any health care setting.
Career opportunites and access to further studies
Completion of this programme of studies leads to registration on the general section of the nurse register of the Council for Nurses and Midwives.Diploma holders are able to work in a variety of clinical areas, including:
- Community and home care
- School nursing
- Acute hospital settings
- Long-term and rehabilitation settings
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Nursing the Older Adult
- Nursing in Paediatrics and Maternal Care Settings
- Clinical Placement
- Nursing Skills
- Nursing Individuals with Mental Illness and Conditions
- Client Assessment
- Evidence in Nursing Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesNursing Health Sciences View 7 other Masters in Nursing in Malta
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- To be registered as regular students in the Course, applicants must have obtained all the credits of the Preparatory Course, specifically related to the proposed area of study in the Higher Diploma, which shall extend over a period of one year of full-time study, immediately prior to the commencement of the Course.
- If by the end of the Preparatory Course, students do not successfully complete all the study-units and obtain the 60 ECTS credits they shall not be admitted to the Course.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International10800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10800 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.