Discover your Theology and Religious Studies programme
Are you curious about the origins of different religions? Do you want to understand what drives people of faith? Gain deeper insight into the legacies that migrants and refugees bring with them to their new countries? The international Bachelor Theology and Religious Studies at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam provides academic space for dialogical learning in an interfaith setting
When you choose Theology and Religious Studies, you enter the rich and fascinating world of religion and faith. VU Amsterdam is known as a safe space where different religions coexist, side by side. You develop an academic vision of what religion and theology mean. You are in constant dialogue with your fellow students.In the Theology and Religious Studies programme, you choose your own path.
The program consists of core courses, in-depth courses related to your profile, and electives. The core courses are taught in English and followed by all students, meaning you study alongside students from different countries, cultures and faiths. You learn about the principles and practices of Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism and Islam. Attention is paid to historical developments, ethics and the shared practices and imagery of different religions. You delve into hermeneutics and the social sciences.
Start your career
With your Theology and Religious Studies degree, you could work in many different organizations as a spiritual caregiver, researcher, police officer, teacher or journalist. The world is crying out for people with a deep understanding of religion and theology. Are you ready?
Join VU Amsterdam for an online Taster Day! During this event, you will get a taste of what life is like as a student at our university. You will get to know one specific Bachelor's programme and find out what you can expect in terms of the content. There is also an opportunity to meet students who are currently following the programme.
On-demand Bachelor’s day
Did you miss the Online Bachelor's Day on February 6? With a My Study Choice account, you can get access to the open day platform from February and view the various study programme videos!
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- World Religions
- Exploring a profile: Theories of Religion
- Historical roots of contemporary religious issues
- History of world philosophies
- Religious myths and rituals
- Research lab
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Numerus Fixus: 15 January
- Non-EU/EEA students: 1 April
- National students, EU/EEA students and students who do not need a study visa/residence permit through VU Amsterdam: 1 May
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 3 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcript of records; a transcript in English of the grades obtained over the final two years of your high school and any further education up to the moment of your application. IB and A-level applicants are asked to upload their predicted grades.
- A scan of your diploma (if you have already graduated).
- Curriculum Vitae; the curriculum vitae should include your personal details and list your previous education and relevant work experience (± 1-2 pages).
- English language test results (if already obtained).
- Copy of valid passport or ID (ID for EEA students only).
International8870 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8870 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.