Students will study a range of topics that are central or highly relevant to the study of the social sciences. You’ll explore areas such as mental health and wellbeing, contemporary issues in social sciences, and professional practice to help prepare for undergraduate study.
The Social Sciences Foundation Year programme at Solent University has an applied focus – students are encouraged and enabled to apply their theoretical knowledge to real world problems, such as mental health, psychological wellbeing and everyday problem-solving.
During the foundation degree, students will gain an understanding of human behaviour and motivation and will begin to develop the ability to critically analyse problems, formulate a considered response, create and argument and generate new ideas. These qualities will enable students to go on to study one of the following undergraduate degrees:
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
- BSc (Hons) Psychology (Child Development and Education)
- BSc (Hons) Psychology (Counselling and Mental Health)
- BSc Hons Psychology (Forensic and Psychopathology)
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Psychology
- BA (Hons) Sociology
- BA (Hons) Social Work (students will be required to attend a values-based interview)
- BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing Practice (students will be required to attend a values-based interview)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Practice
- Contemporary Issues in Social Sciences
- Volunteering in the City
- Media Project in Social Sciences
- Investigating in the Social Sciences
- Psychological Approaches to Mental Health
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology General Engineering & Technology View 77 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 48 UCAS tariff points from A-levels or equivalent
- A minimum of two completed A-levels, a BTEC Extended Diploma at PPP or BTEC Diploma at MP or equivalent.
- Those wishing to progress on to BA (Hons) Social Work or BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing Practice must also have GCSE Maths and English grade 4/C.
- We will consider mature students who have not recently undertaken a formal course of study at A-level, or equivalent, but can demonstrate relevant work or voluntary experience, that's indicative of their ability to complete the course successfully.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International11660 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11660 GBP per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.