Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
- To ensure the all-round education and development of School of Hotel and Tourism Management (SHTM) graduates;
- To offer a multi-disciplinary education, which will equip students with the professional knowledge and skills needed for a broad range of complex, managerial and specialised work activities in the tourism, events, convention and exhibition industry; and
- To develop graduates who can significantly contribute to the total quality service delivery to tourism, events, conventions and exhibitions, and service-related customers.
The Tourism and Events Management programme of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University combines the theory and practice of business tourism with a customer-service orientation to produce graduates who can take up a variety of tourism and events industry positions.
Graduates can progress rapidly to management level positions within this sector. This multidisciplinary programme prepares students for careers at the management level in the tourism and events sector, and in broader service industries, either locally or internationally. Students learn to be customer-focused, analytical and independent, and at the same time develop communication and leadership skills. They also gain a global perspective to meet the growing challenges faced in the dynamic tourism and events industry.
After some years of experience, BSc(Hons) in Tourism and Events Management graduates will be qualified for management positions in tourism, events, convention and exhibition and broader service sectors, depending on their chosen Career Track, Minor and/or Free Electives taken. Tourism and Events management graduates are well prepared for opportunities in the travel and tourism related sector including those in tourist attraction administration, local and overseas national tourism offices, destination management companies, convention and exhibition organisers, professional meeting planners, museums and historic sites, recreation sites, theme parks, airlines, airports, ground transportation and car rental companies, cruise ships, tour operators, travel agents and professional tourism organisations.
- In Year One, students are introduced to university study and participate in subjects such as Freshman Seminar, Leadership and Intra-personal Development. They are required to complete a Healthy Lifestyle subject and Language and Communication Requirement (LCR) subjects.
- Starting from Year Two, students in the BSc(Hons) Tourism and Events Management programme begin to take subjects in the tourism and events management area and learn the basics of tourism and events operations.
- In Year Three, students begin to take advanced subjects in tourism and events management and finish their subjects in their chosen Career Track, Minor and/or Free Electives.
- In Year Four, students complete the advanced subjects in tourism and events management. Depending on their selection, they also either begin to work on their Thesis or enroll in a Capstone Subject.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
plus 6 training credits of Work-Integrated Education and 1 training credit of Professional Development
DisciplinesEvent Management Tourism & Leisure View 10 other Bachelors in Tourism & Leisure in Hong Kong (SAR)
- For those who are applying on the basis of A-Level qualifications: E in 3 A-Level subjects OR E in 2 A-Level and 2 AS-Level subjects;
- For those who are applying on the basis of International Baccalaureate (IB): a minimum score of 24 with at least grade 4 in 2 Higher Level (HL) subjects;
- For those who are applying on the basis of other qualifications: an appropriate Diploma passed with credit or an appropriate Higher Certificate from a recognised institution; an appropriate Associate Degree / Higher Diploma from a recognised institution; holder of other non-local qualifications (please refer to our Guidelines on Non-local Qualifications for more details about our general requirements for such qualifications)
- Satisfy the English Language Requirement.
International18684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18684 USD per year during 48 months.
National5425 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5425 USD per year during 48 months.
- National: 42,100 HKD per year
- International: 145,000 HKD per year
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.